Flat water bottle canteen

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago a lady at work was filling what looked like a large hip flask with water.
I made a suitable witty comment to which she replied that she liked the flat bottle because it would fit neatly in her handbag ....

... hmmmm. It started me thinking.

I'd just come back from a walk and several times when we stopped for a quick drink my friend asked me to pull his water bottle out, and replace it, so he didn't have to stop and unpack, (because he lad a large bottle in the side pouch and it was awkward to access)

I have side pouches too, but don't usually or can't put a water bottle in them if the pack is too full; that means I don't always drink a frequently as I should, and the amount of water I carry is limited to what fits inside the pack.

20180909_132907 (Medium).jpg

I got a flat water bottle to solve the problem:
20180909_132925 (Medium).jpg

Its slim enough to easily go into the side pocket:
20180909_132934 (Medium).jpg

this model holds 750ml, so its a decent amount:
20180909_132942 (Medium).jpg

I did notice it made a bit of a sloshing sound when walking, when full, but once I had a drink the noise seemed to stop;
again when it was almost emptu it started to slosh a bit, but not as much as when it was full.

As we come into summer, having more water, and ready access water will be useful, so far, this seems to a good addition.

Cheers
Aussie

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Unusual but practical. I got a South African waterbottle as it was square and fitted a space nicely. But yours is very nice. Where did you get it from?
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Unusual but practical. I got a South African waterbottle as it was square and fitted a space nicely. But yours is very nice. Where did you get it from?
Cheers
Bloffy
I know the SA one, but its too big for the spot I had.
I got it "locally" from ebay. There are various sizes available.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Nice. I had some similar thoughts a while back and sourced some U/S pilot flasks which are 1 pint in volume. The idea was to have it in a pouch that I could hang from my neck so it would be easy to access and also stop it from freezing in sub zero temperatures. The latter isn’t much of an issue now I’ve emigrated to Auz!
They sit nicely in the side pockets of my Frost River Bushcraft pack where I can get at them fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. I had some similar thoughts a while back and sourced some U/S pilot flasks which are 1 pint in volume. The idea was to have it in a pouch that I could hang from my neck so it would be easy to access and also stop it from freezing in sub zero temperatures. The latter isn’t much of an issue now I’ve emigrated to Auz!
They sit nicely in the side pockets of my Frost River Bushcraft pack where I can get at them fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hadn't seen those. They look good, but (as is so often the case) postage from the US is a bit prohibitive

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
There are 18th century slim water bottle replicas available in tinned iron & copper. They can be carried on a strap or in a pocket & are quite robust. Take a look in the primitive section of this forum for images.
Keith.

Geist

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Oh, that's good to know, Le Loup. Cheers. Need to get me one of those since I get annoyed by my bulky water bottle all the time.

Rum Pig

Russell Coight
Reaction score
This is one reason I like camel back type set ups, I know people say you cant see how much you are drinking ect but you can manage, however this argument is for another thread.
How durable are they?
They look good and if they work for you then they are spot on.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Rushfaster has 20% off these type of bottles at present, but only for another 11 hours.

https://rushfaster.com.au/search/?page=1&q=Memobottle

No affiliation, but bought a Crumpler bag off them as it was the cheapest place in Oz.
Good link, worth keeping an eye on.

This is one reason I like camel back type set ups, I know people say you cant see how much you are drinking ect but you can manage, however this argument is for another thread.
How durable are they?
They look good and if they work for you then they are spot on.
I've taken my flatty on half a dozen or more walks. So for so good.
My main criteria was to take more water with me and use the pack's side pocket effectively; and it does all that well