fitting the pen to the standard SAK

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK bought the SAK replacement pen (measures 50mm same as the toothpick OAL but is thicker than the toothpick) and I thought it might fit in the toothpick slot, well I was wrong too thick and won't go into the slot. I suppose I could dremel it out a bit but I'm hesitant to try lest I damage the SAK.

I tried to fit the pen into my Hiker in all over the place (in the slots when the tools were open etc), in every place and it wouldn't fit and let any of the tools close properly.

I have later found out that you need a different scale, the "plus" scale, which I have bought. This allows you to add the SAK pen and retain the toothpick. I am going to do this for all of my SAK's eventually.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes, I actually like the toothpick, and find many uses for it; never as a toothpick though :LOL:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I just got in a "PLUS" scales for my Hiker model so I could add in a pen, swapped over the scale (just watched a tutorial on YouTube on how and was very easy to do).

Now the Hiker fits a pen and a toothpick, and has the hole for the straight pin (which I have coming).

The only thing is the pens end cap is put on wrong (it is the opposite to the way it should be so one side sits proud and the other sits low, if it was the other way around it would fit perfectly. You can tell it wasn't really made for the slot but that is a little thing, and I am just glad I have a pen now in my SAK and I now know I can do this mod for any 91mm SAK if I want to. I will be doing it for the Fieldmaster when I get one.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK I have found out that I have bout the wrong pen (too small) for the PLUS scale, which I have just now rectified, and bought the right one . Hopefully it will fit better.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
thanks Travin, only problem only my Super Tinker has the hook on it and I don't carry that one, the Hiker and as yet to be bought Field Master are to be my carry SAK's and neither do they have hooks. The 74mm pen are apparently a bit easier to use, and I can see how the small 58mm pen would be hard to use, and be only an emergency use only pen. Still a handy option to add to any SAK IMO.

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score

Thanks waveman , you've got me thinking it may be possible to replace the handle on the victorinox soldier now with something one piece.
More rubber from the edge falling off in my pocket today.
An example why looking fancy should come second to functional simplicity.

Edit : ( after searching online , the 111 mm forester model black handle is 1 piece with no rubber edging and has the added tweezers and toothpick, it has the corkscrew on the outside where the soldier has the Phillips head screwdriver. The slot appears the same. ) I always wanted the toothpick and tweezers :) )

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
new bigger pen arrived today, fits perfectly and is exactly what I wanted and suits the PLUS scales exactly. It is a bit easier to use as well.

new one on left, old, shorter one on right

and in the SAK