BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First flint and steel fire after lock down

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Covid lock down over and the rains cleared so high time for a camping trip. Not far from my campsite noticed a stringybark tree so stopped and collected a good strip. Stringybark works well with a tinderbox.

IMG_6091_1.JPG

Made up a nest in which I put a piece of charred punkwood

IMG_6093_1.JPG

After quite a bit of striking with the flint against the steel, am rather out of practice, a spark finally flew onto the tinder which started a good glow. Had some crumbled tree funus to hand and put some on the glowing tinder. Tree fungus is very combustible and a good addition for fire lighting.

The tinder glowing well with added bits of tree fungus.

IMG_6094_1.JPG

Full ignition and the excellent stringybark burning well.

IMG_6096_1.JPG

Was not to displeased with this fire lighting with all natural materials and flint and steel. May have to knap a few flints. On the way home stopped by the stand of stringybark trees and collected more bark for future fire lighting.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
excellent stuff mate.

I have found even in a suburban backyard you can practice flint and steel, to keep your hand in. As you say you do lose the feel for it if you do not keep at it. I spark steel against stone every night, just for fun, and pleasure. It is my time to relax.