First campfire this year

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Finally the hot weather has abated and fire bans lifted so after a long wait went out on a camping trip along with flint and steel. Camped out along a river in amongst She oak (Casurina) trees which provided plenty of shade as it was still rather hot during the day.

Came evening took out the tinderbox, collected kindling and after some effort managed to get a fire going. Had not used the fire lighting kit for a while and should have paid attention to my flints which were rather dulled and took quite a lot of striking to get a decent spark.

Had a lot of trouble using She oak leaves as kindling no matter how well the punkwood was glowing, the She oak would not ignite. In the end finally managed to get the punkwood itself burning and lit the fire. There was nothing else about except She oak.

The only thing that worked very well were the two blow tubes I made out of garden canes. Apart from being used with the tinderbox next morning just dumped dry litter from around the campsite onto the coals, a few blasts of air with the blow tube and soon had a fire burning.

2019FirelightRESIZED.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed the she-oak leaves needles are great if you light them with a flame (match / lighter), but won't take well from an ember.

Good it wasn't just me !

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Found the same thing, the she oak leaves caught fire readily with a burning match. With even a well glowing ember no go, going out again this weekend to much the same place and will take dried eucalytus leaves and stringybark with me.