BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firewood Collection Fines (NSW)

Jaaack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
It seems like the rules for firewood collection have recently been changed or being more strictly enforced. Apparently some sorry soul was fined $30,000 for collecting firewood on a road in a national park.

I have had a quick look at Firewood Policy on the Environment NSW website and it says that "Collecting timber for firewood is allowed in backcountry (more remote) areas, in any park category" but it doesn't specify what is Backcountry or Remote and what isn't.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It seems like the rules for firewood collection have recently been changed or being more strictly enforced. Apparently some sorry soul was fined $30,000 for collecting firewood on a road in a national park.

I have had a quick look at Firewood Policy on the Environment NSW website and it says that "Collecting timber for firewood is allowed in backcountry (more remote) areas, in any park category" but it doesn't specify what is Backcountry or Remote and what isn't.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
I don't know. I woud have expected that for national parks though, and I'm thankful for it. It supports the food cycle and builds up the ground, also enables ground to hold more water.

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Local national parks have signs up stating no collecting fire wood.
Thought it was ok in state forests but maybe I’m wrong.

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
All flora and fauna in national parks is protected, even weeds. If you do bushcare in national parks there's some paperwork you need to fill out before you start to cover the legal side of it.
Last I checked, and it was a couple of years ago so it may have changed, you needed a permit to collect firewood in a state forest and you could only take fallen timber. There was a different permit for collecting wood for crafting.
I'm curious as to if the bloke that got fined had collected an armful of wood for a campfire or if he was taking a trailer load home.

Last edited:

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Would also be interested in the case of the bloke who was fined. Firewood for a campfire or a trailer load.

Jaaack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Update!

So I emailed the NSW department of Planning, Industry and Environment and they got back to me with a couple of points. They further specified, saying:
Basically firewood collection is not permitted in the sensitive sub alpine area above the tree line but is permitted in the lower area. Chainsaws and not allowed but some huts have an axe which can be used to cut firewood.

So anything in the Montane area and below of remote areas is fine

@Chigger and @Askew - This response also leads me to believe that who ever was fined was using a chainsaw to load up a trailer to take out of the park, probably of some wood that had been on the ground for a while. I did notice that all the news outlets that reported on it said EXACTLY the same thing, word for word, so probably that detail was left out on purpose by whoever supplied the text.

They’ve also recommended that I contact the Snowy River Visitor Centre so I have done that and will let you guys know if I hear back.

Jaaack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Update!

So I emailed the NSW department of Planning, Industry and Environment and they got back to me with a couple of points. They further specified, saying:

So anything in the Montane area and below of remote areas is fine

@Chigger and @Askew - This response also leads me to believe that who ever was fined was using a chainsaw to load up a trailer to take out of the park, probably of some wood that had been on the ground for a while. I did notice that all the news outlets that reported on it said EXACTLY the same thing, word for word, so probably that detail was left out on purpose by whoever supplied the text.

They’ve also recommended that I contact the Snowy River Visitor Centre so I have done that and will let you guys know if I hear back.

just heard back from NPWS:

Thanks for your enquiry. I have just spoken to our Tumut office, as they look after the northern end of the park, including Long Plain and Cooleman areas.

You are permitted to collect wood off the ground, however they have recommended bringing your own firewood as you may be hard pressed to find any laying around - that end of the Park was very badly hit with the 2020/2021 bushfires.

Last edited: