Firelighter for SAK

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I ordered some Firefly fire steels for the SAK and have now finally got around to testing.

They come in different sizes and replace the toothpick on your SAK, as I get older and my teeth fall out I have less and less need for a toothpick...perhaps if I I used the toothpick from the start I wouldn't have that problem, but I digress.

The fire steels fit snugly, I did have difficulty with fitting it fully flush on my old red SAK, but it has a stand off and is easier to get out especially if your fingers were cold; you may not have this issue. On the smaller SAK there were no issues.

The luminous bit is really quite luminous and though probably not sourced from Chernobyl, glowed quite nicely.

The instructions are clear and you have to use the side of the Firesteel as it is kept in place by its thickness.

For the bigger SAK there was no issue in getting a spark off the back of the saw. The smaller SAK's main blade had a quite polished spine and I thought perhaps it wouldn't work, but after a few strikes which took away the black coating, it threw a really good spark.

Overall very happy with this piece of kit and would recommend to everyone (ie readers of the forum who have a SAK) if you haven't got an SAK then you shouldn't be reading.

Happy New Year to all (even if you don't have an SAK)

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg2.jpg

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Thrud, they seem like a really good idea.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Great idea. Just wish the Victorinox Soldier had the inset. I would so be onto this. Bring it to Boyup Brook. Most keen to see.
Cheers
Bloffy