fire piston in use

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
while camping this week end I had the opportunity to light fires, here is me firing up my fire piston, 2 strikes and I got an ember.
fire piston/char cloth/jute tinder bundle.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
one thing I suggest Greatbloke concerning fire pistons is mate, get a 2nd generation one(the ones that have a pressure relief valve. They seem to work the best and allow uou to store the plunger in the piston safely and once seated the pressure keeps the plunger from falling out. I have 2 fire pistons and love them, tho they are a little fiddly to use. If you are at all handy mate make one, tho I reckon the $50 you would spend on a quality fire piston is money well spent.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hey Waveman, I wasn't sure if it was the tinder or your beard burning:_risata:

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thats one way to carry your own tinder...grow it on your face...lol

Good pics by the way.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work mate! Making one of these is on my to do list...

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Good work.

I have a fire piston and spent ages getting an ember; but once I had the first ember, it just kept working. Perhaps it was just "muck" in the tube, or some subtle technique, but it seems fine now.

Anyone having difficulties I suggest persistence and lubrication ! (I've already done the jokes and then deleted them) :_risata:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Good work.

I have a fire piston and spent ages getting an ember; but once I had the first ember, it just kept working. Perhaps it was just "muck" in the tube, or some subtle technique, but it seems fine now.

Anyone having difficulties I suggest persistence and lubrication ! (I've already done the jokes and then deleted them) :_risata:
gotta agree mate, good lubrication and a clean tube and your fire piston will fire easily. Also getting the action right, fast in and even faster out is the key.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
A quick question from the fire piston noob... The piece of charred material you are using is quiet small, compared to my hand drill embers and char cloth from flint and steel, do you use it as is in the tinder bundle or do you transfer it to something bigger first?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
good question mate, I transfer the small ember produced in fire piston to a larger piece of char cloth which is then placed in the tinder bundle. I struggled at first because I was way too miserly with my char cloth, now I use larger pieces and have had close to 100% making fire with this method.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thats one way to carry your own tinder...grow it on your face...lol

Good pics by the way.
Oh come on felles - not one word about tinder fungus yet? Yer disapointing me lol.

Seriously tho (yeah I can do it) I have an ali' fire piston I turned up a while back, but I gotta admit there's definitely something wrong with it (still trying to work it out - not gonna let it beat me). I have got an ember with it probably about 1 in 10 tries. I'll keep working on it to get the magic mixture as I know it does work, but in the mean time I've also been thinking about one of the 2nd gen pistons. I love Coco bolo wood - just looks great I reckon.
It's frustrating but I like the challenge.

Bill.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
that's it Bill, never give up unless the fire piston is defective. I have to admit I struggled at first with flint and steel, (came down to not enough char cloth being used) but I stuck with it and now can get it working quickly and efficiently.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just bought another fire piston, have tried it but was unsuccessful, will have to do some more trials to see what I am doing wrong.
Came with a heap of stuff so even if the piston doesn't work I feel I got my money's worth.
Fire pistons are, for me just a novelty anyway and I would not rely on one as my primary firestarter.
I do love the idea of them though, making fire via compression is simply fascinating.

I did add a fresnel lens (so even if the piston doesn't work I can use the fresnel lens to get the char cloth embering), a S/S poker and a small box for more char cloth

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
good kit, piston looks really well made, lots of spare bits and pieces. I do suggest adding a fresnel lens and a poker just to expand the kits utility.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I revisited this again today, gave it a red hot go and could not get the new piston to ember. So I thought I would give my gen II piston a go, second go and ember success, so swapped out the new piston out and added the gen II piston into the new kit. I have to say I am disappointed but this sort of thing happens I suppose. I did go out into the sun and about 1 second with a fresnel lens and I got the char cloth embered....Damn pistons annoy me while fascinating me at the same time.