BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire Pan !

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
This is from the way back machine !
Way back - Decades ago !
I used a fire pan ...

Fire Pan = Cast iron skillet with low sides ..

Don't know where I got that first one ? Maybe I pinched it from mum and dad cos they never used it ( low sides ) .
Anyways , that original vanished a long time ago ..
And I was on Ebay , and I spied this pan .. Yeah , I had to buy it .
It's larger than my original , and much heavier .. So it wont go hiking or anything ..
But still ..

The concept !

The idea is that you can start a fire anywhere ( comfortable ) ... Comfort is more important the older you get !
I hated kneeling on the ground ..
The fire pan allowed me to start a fire very comfortably ..

Now you have to build a stack of wood ( Ur camp fire ) so that the fire pan will slip under it easily .
And in such a way as to breath and dry wood as quickly as possible .
Back then I did not Ferro Rod at all , no no no .. It was either water proof matches or a BIC .
I also used fire starter , and kero to get things moving ..

But here I use fatwood / ferro and some shredded twisted sisal to get things going , just as an example of how relatively easy the Fire Pan concept is when your comfortable ..
That fatwood burns good ! Looks like a little will go a long way ..

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I use the same thing for the same purpose, though my pan is a square cast iron one. I have gone away from it a bit lately and use a firebox (cookie tin) and my dedicated fire stove, the manger by FabKreations.

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Sorry , double posted some how during an edit !

I have a light weight fire bowl .. And it was a PITA with the small Ferro Rod ..
But might be ok with a larger rod .. The high sides on the SS Bowl are a hindrance to the ferro rod , but with a lighter / matches and fire starter .
But I like something with a handle ..
Anyways , the Fire Pan allows you to pack on a fair amount of wood if you want , so in adverse conditions should help make life easier .
For hiking etc , where weight matters ! A light weight SS pan might be a better idea .

Last edited: