field preping the humble Bic lighter

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
another coalcracker video I have just rewatched, field prepping the lighter to make it better

and of course I had to do one for myself, though I used T-Rex tape (which is 49mm wide which sort of defeats the purpose of having a bright coloured lighter but I refused to cut this tape in half) which is the next step up from Gorilla tape.

personally I prefer the Clipper lighter but have Bic's

and this is the next video in the series

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have tape around lots of things (eg small pump for mtb) - it's a great idea. Never considered it for firelighting though. I was expecting the zip tie under the fuel release tab trick - surprised he didn't show that. I'm not into bics - I prefer peanut lighter. Water tight while it is done up, replaceable flints, wick, fuel etc. Don't have to protect the fuel release tab. Can top it up with less than a teaspoon of petrol before any expedition, or once a year if rarely used.

bic lighter zip tie.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I am going to add a zip tie to my light when I put it in my kit (I have a kit that this lighter is destined for)

Peanut lighters are my preferred lighters for most kits, as you say mate the O ring ensures they don't lose fuel.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
yeah I am going to add a zip tie to my light when I put it in my kit (I have a kit that this lighter is destined for)

Peanut lighters are my preferred lighters for most kits, as you say mate the O ring ensures they don't lose fuel.
also keeps water out and protects the mechanism :)