Field Preparation Of Plant Tinder For Use With Flint & Steel By Charring.

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Charred punkwood works well with flint and steel I have found, something I picked up from one of your other videos a while back.

At times have been surprised as to how quickly a fire can be made after a bit of practice.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Charred punkwood works well with flint and steel I have found, something I picked up from one of your other videos a while back.

At times have been surprised as to how quickly a fire can be made after a bit of practice.
Yes Chigger & flint, steel & tinderbox fire lighting is sustainable.
Keith.

Chigger

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Yep, once your tinderbox is set up, scratch around for a bit of kindling and you are set to go. Do carry a small amount of stringybark with me for kindling in case there is rain about and things are wet.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yep, once your tinderbox is set up, scratch around for a bit of kindling and you are set to go. Do carry a small amount of stringybark with me for kindling in case there is rain about and things are wet.
I used to carry kindling Chigger, but I don't bother anymore. I can find dry stringybark bark on the trees even in the rain. If I see rain coming I will pick up kindling on the trail before getting to a camp spot, & I always keep spare kindling under my shelter just in case the fire goes out on a winters night.
Keith.