Failed carving project

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
This project didn't work at expected, but I proceeded with it anyway because I knew I could learn even from my own failure ... and it was fun ...
Its something I haven't tried before, so its all new !

Out on my walk, I quickly located a suitable, relatively freshly fallen tree. There was a lovely straight box branch with minimal knots. It looked perfect:
20180805_125109 (Medium).jpg

I sawed off a suitable length and walked on a couple of Km to find a good sopt out of the wind to stop and work:
20180805_125607 (Medium).jpg 20180805_143652 (Medium).jpg

Because the branch is fresh, the bark peels easily, just using my fingers:
20180805_132017 (Medium).jpg 20180805_132149 (Medium).jpg

I used my hatchet to split the log down the center, unfortunately it didn't split cleanly and the wood splintered along the split.
If you were making kindling, it wouldn't matter, but I needed a clean split for my project, so I know at this point that I had failed .... but I kept going anyway because
I know I would learn and next time, I'd know much more than I know now.

Not sure if it comes out in the pic, but the edges are badly damaged with lots of cracks and splits parallel to the main split:
20180805_133032 (Medium).jpg

I broke out the elbow adze, and it performed very well, but the log I chose was probably a bit too thin for comfortable chipping.
The hatched performed quite well and the knife was good for cleanups .... all good learning ...
20180805_133446 (Medium).jpg
The adze needed quite a few mods and I've reshaped the handle quite a bit since this pic. Much better now.

Here's the point I abandoned the exercise, you can see the hollows starting to form ....
20180805_143347 (Medium).jpg

I need to find a local, native tree which will split very neatly so I can try again ....

Does anyone have any ideas for suitable timber ?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Second chop at it .... getting closer ....

Following a local storm, I located a fallen blackwood (wattle) :
20180826_165200 (Medium).jpg

Quickly stripped the bark ... beautiful cordage available there, but its not what I'm after today :
20180826_165134 (Medium).jpg

Blackwood split very nicely:
20180826_170442 (Medium).jpg
20180826_173841 (Medium).jpg

First step, I drilled a hole about 10cm deep (see I learned from earlier experience).
When I tried to carve a spout initially I found it tricky to line up, but this way I know it would be round, and the 2 halves aligned :
20180826_170147 (Medium).jpg

Running out of daylight, I carved out shallow a cavity in both halves:
20180826_173449 (Medium).jpg

Quickly bound the 2 halves together .... it holds water, sort of .... too leaky to be useful ...
20180826_173914 (Medium).jpg

So the plan all along has been to make a wooden, bushcraft bottle.

This was not too bad, but leaks too mach to be useful.

Because I was running out of time I didn't carve out much volume, or shape the neck of the bottle, carve a stopper, or make cordage to lock the 2 halves together ...
... but I'll have another go .... next time ...

If you've made anything like this, let me know ?

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
great effort mate and thanks for sharing. i think it was a success as you got to test your craft but yep we all learn from ours and others failures. so you have helped us all out with your thought process. cheers!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Many scars (to my ego) to prove it. Intrigued by this idea. Would have thought that, with a drill available, you would drill several holes and chip out the bits in between to create a cup. Then create some sort of cap. Just a thought. Might have to give this a go myself now. You have me curious.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Many scars (to my ego) to prove it. Intrigued by this idea. Would have thought that, with a drill available, you would drill several holes and chip out the bits in between to create a cup. Then create some sort of cap. Just a thought. Might have to give this a go myself now. You have me curious.
Cheers
Bloffy
I could do that, but I wanted a "bottle" with a narrow neck which I can stopper and actually use to transport water.
Although I drilled the neck out (second time around) I'm trying to do this as a carving project (rather than drilling or using a lathe etc).
The reason the drilling the neck was to make fitting a stopper easy.

There are a lot of online folk who make cups by splitting a log into 4 or 6 segments, then carve out each segment, and then join the segments back together,
I'm trying to do similar but a bottle version.

(Perhaps I will try a cup next, perhaps that's a bit easier .... ??? )