BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F781 Axis Lock ( Chinese ) Factory Edge put to the rope

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
F781.jpg

_IGP1583.JPG
1.JPG
4.JPG

A) The knife is surprisingly well made , the blade running on ball bearing . The only issue I had with the knife was when fidgeting the knife . One of the axis lock nuts came lose , and the main blade screw also came lose . Both needed thread lock . Otherwise the knife is tight and straight . The axis lock works like a charm and there is no slop to speak off .
B) The axis lock uses a more conventional spring system . Feels both solid and smooth .
C) Cutting rope , the edge started off really well , but around 100 slices the edge had trouble with the paper . I put the blade to the Wet Stone Grinder after the slice test and the factory edge was some what FUBAR ! ( This seems to be getting to be a knife theme ) . Anyways I was able to coax a 250 fail from the factory edge . But to fair , that factory edge was very poor . And just what the heck is the blade steel ( mystery steel ) . The blade has 20cv printed on it , but the seller claims D2 .

Either way , this was not an expensive knife . The aluminium scales / body of the knife are two parts .. This makes the knife thin and light as well relatively strong . The ground edge has fractures , one which is large enough for my fingernail to pick up . I would grind it out but I would be grinding away a few years of use . The back 1/3 of the blade still has bad ju ju ( grind ) which would take a lot of grinding to remove .
I will re test with the ground edge , but that one large fracture ... Might cause issue with the paper slice .
This is not the first blade I have seen where the edge is fractured and is most likely caused by the heat treat .

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

Put to the rope after a fresh edge put on with the Wet Stone Grinder .

250 with the factory edge
300 with the ground edge

That's acceptable performance from a cheap knife .
$36.60 Oz Bananas ... 300 slices = 12.2 cents a slice ( Value index ) ( Lower is better )

I got my count wrong , because the first slice test went to 100 slices rather than my normal 50 ..
So I kind of shafted myself by stepping outside the norm .