BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enlan EL-02

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
IMGP1315.JPG

A bit of History !
A long time ago ( decade or more ) I started buying Cheap Chinese Knives . One of those brands was Enlan . And a lot of people used to crow about this brand and how good it was !
Ok , it looks good , it feels good , it's bolted together good , ...........
Butt ! It just lacked one thing I was looking for ......... Edge retention .
After a while I began to notice how much sharpening I was doing compared to when I was using my US made knives ( R3 Remington for example ) . And it slowly dawned on me that these cheap chinese knives just had little in the way of edge holding . So my D2 saga began ! ( That's another story )

It has been quite a while since I have purchased an Enlan knife , because of our past history . The EL-02 is the knife I wanted a long time ago and now I have one .
Aaaaw! I was ho-humming , about this one . The EL-02 or just about any other D2 knife out there . Did I make a poor choice ?
You would think that a knife company would learn too cook powdered steel in 5 or 10 years ? ( one would think that )
The knife was very sharp to start . ( Very )
I felt the edge dull with every slice of the rope !!!!
Impressed by how poor the factory edge was I am . ( 50 slice fail ) If I had stopped at 10 or 20 slices , the edge may have failed the paper slice test .
On a happy note , the factory bevel was complete rubbish ! So there could be some cause and effect other than badly cooked steel ? ( Could )
The edge is wet stone grinder - re ground !

I had to butcher the screw to get the blade off , those 3 offset holes for screw removal are STUPID ! Who does DS like that ? ( Ok - Enlan ) It's not trick , it's just a PITA !
Knife will be retested shortly .. Will it fail at 50 ? That is the million dollar question .

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

Sunday 9 Jan 2022 = One of the nicest days in a long time . ( Weather ) Or the lack of Humidity , nasty humidity at that !

Also , with the terrible factory bevel re ground , we actually get some performance .
Yes , the Enlan EL-02B fails with a rolled edge at 250 slices .
A 250 slice fail ( rolled edge ) is so - Not embarrassing !
For 8cr13mov , it is acceptable .
So , the factory edge failing at 50 slices was due to the terrible factory grind (?)
In anyways , we are talking 5 fold increase in performance with a freshly ground edge . ( ? ) That's a lot !
It was a lot of work cleaning the edge .
Both sides were FUBAR .. One side toward the belly and tip and the other side towards the handle from around the middle of the blade .. Effectively making 100% of the blade FUBAR . Which might go towards explaining the really poor performance .