Ed stafford naked and marooned

• Thread starter Deleted member 1018
  • Start date

BOD

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
This should be interesting. Hope he makes some clothes soon though.

I thought he was the first to travel across the Amazon till I learnt that Juliane Koepke's father did it in the late 1940's. No wonder she survived after her crash.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I watched the videos very interesting indeed great show it was excellent

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it will watch the rest tonight if I have time. Thanks for the link!

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
All have been removed from the tube now. Seems someone didn't like them being complete episodes. Shame was looking forward to watching them.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yep been pulled. I tried watching them yesterday.

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Lucky I watched them all before they were taken off! just finished watching his walking the amazon films pretty good too but not as good as the marooned on an island series.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Bugger. Sorry bout that guys. Definitely worth a look of it gets reposted. Something pretty extreme about being dropped off without even clothes.

B

Bourby

Account Inactive
It's Available for DL on isohunt.com .............

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Watched these last night, was a good show. One thing that blew my mind, was when he started eating raw snails. RAW SNAILS!!! Then got sick - no big surprise.

I'd like to see Dave Canterbury do something like this, maybe with clothes though ;) Or at least someone making more stuff... like better bows, tools, boat, etc.

His timeline of when he started to do certain things was also strange to me. I would have sourced a better water spot a lot sooner, tried to trap the goats sooner, etc. but I did like the fact that he got in a routine and kept at it. 60 days starting from buck naked is an incredible feat. The little things in life would be so much sweeter for him now...

I also really liked how he started his own garden, that was a big surprise for me.

Thanks for posting.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just watched "Walking the Amazon" - awesome.

"For me, the time when we had to improvise and we had to make do with what we'd got and the kit was breaking and we were running out of food was, the sheer adrenaline of knowing that our lives depended on our ingenuity was fantastic actually."

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree AP, i think a LOT of the show was edited for the arm chair viewer, a few things struck me as well....like he had bamboo for a raft!! why cut down trees for his shelter, also the water situation, could have fixed up that water soak a LOT better IMHO mind you he'd have to keep the goats away from it BUT would that be a good lure to grab a goat!!..after water collection, fire be the next priority to cook everything, you get sick you go down hill real fast........but here is me critiquing, know id damn well be hard pressed to do what he did. :p

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
60 days without proper dental care would have put me out right there, and that's the first little thing of many. For any show like this, there's always going to be things we can pick on, and that's a good thing I think.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
One thing that really stood out for me is that this is really the first time I've seen survival skills actually work long term. Usually on these type of shows, folks always have at least one tool and modern equipment of some sort and after a week or so are usually done in. This had pretty much led me to the opinion that survival skills will help you stay alive in the wilderness but not for to long. It's good to see this level of success, eventually. And once again, the mental game is a large part of it all.

nifty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have to disagree with how he used his survival skills over the long term. Ive seen a few shows like Les stroud and others where they all seem to miraculously find plastic bottles, tin drums or some kind of modern container just lying around!!!!!!!. One of the major problems of bare handed survival as i see it is not how to filter but how to boil contaminated water. The closest ive seen to someone doing it was a guy who made a bark container and placed heated rocks from the fire into the pot.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I just watched till he made fire.. damn 13days till he found the right sort of wood for a friction fire..
never tried a friction fire.. but isn't there some stuff he could of checked eg if the wood is hard or soft...
will try to finish the 1st episode tonight

with the bottles and stuff.. I think it more of a concept of being marooned and finding junk that gets washed ashore..
if they told him he had to live in a primitive lifestlye and so he couldn't of used bottles would of been differnet...

Westie

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey all the full episodes of this series is back up on YouTube. Great first episode. As a arm chair critique and one with minimal survival skill, I would have been focusing a little more on the fire and water side of things. But he has done an amazing job and way better then I could have done. Although you can't see them he must have some big balls about himself to do what he has done, with nothing.
Side note I was on a coastal hike with my nephew and come across a little beach. We scoured through what had washed up as a survival exercise we found rope, bottles, a small bit of fishing net, loads of flat wood, foam and even a knife that has a floating handle and fishing line that had a hook.