Echidna track and diggings

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Here is signs of an echidna attempting to hide it self from something and you can even see its print as I believe leaving it.
View attachment 1594

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Here are some echidna tracks from this morning, after 16mm of rain late last night.
Note distinctive pairing of front and back tracks. Could be confused with fresh water turtle but they take frequent
rest stops and the shell would leave impressions in the sticky mud, echidnas dont.
IMG_0476.jpgIMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpg
South Burnett,Qld Oct 2011

Last edited:

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I have echidna’s dig up the grass in the house yard quite bit. It is quite amazing the amount of earth they can turn in a few nights. There are a couple of big ant hills up the gully that i use to dispose of carcasses on and they regularly punch big holes into them.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
IIRC, echidna claws point backwards? So when tracking, remember the direction of travel is opposite the way the claw marks are pointing. Can someone confirm?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
IIRC, echidna claws point backwards? So when tracking, remember the direction of travel is opposite the way the claw marks are pointing. Can someone confirm?
Apologies for making you wait 5 years for an answer :)
Yes and no...
The hind feet claws do curve backwards, the front feet turn inwards slightly but face forward.
I now believe the tracks I posted in post 2 of this thread are freshwater turtle tracks.
Here is a better look at echidna tracks...
DSCF8563 (800x600).jpg