Eating crow

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Well we woudn't starve between crows and galahs. Would save alot of time looking for food.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Most people would know the joke about how to cook galahs.
Put a rock and a galah into a pot ,cook until the rock is soft, discard galah and the eat rock.
I guess this type of parrot seems to live for 50 plus years or so and are no spring chickens.

Hairy

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
When I started cooking my auntie ( Who used to cook for country hotels and shearers gangs ) gave me a couple of tips for cooking galahs ; first skin & boil them for two hours in salted water, then dry with a cloth and add in with the chickens when preparing a roast and cook well done in a slow oven, you can rescue the choox and leave the "Game" birds swimming in the gravy. She reckons no-one ever picked it as the galahs soaked up all the flavour from the chickens and you mixed a bit of good chicken meat with a fair helping of galah also folks were not as fussy during the big depression and I suppose being healthy and hungry didn't hurt either.
Birds are birds but this sort of bird you don't pluck, you just skin and you only use the breast meat usually unless making soup, can't taste any worse than emu or wild duck

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
When I started cooking my auntie...
Hmmm... I won't do it... I'm off the clock now... lol

I was taught to remove only the Breast meat, pound it a little to soften it up, cut it all up and the cook quite quickly... the longer you leave it cooking the more leather like it gets... but makes a good additive to a rough bush stew...

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I reckon my auntie would be tougher than any old crow

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hilarious. But seriously I wonder what they would taste like? Cant be that bad surely?

Trying to think how one would get one? Maybe a light snare with some meat? Maybe a bow with flu flu arrows?

Or I suppose just sit on my back veranda and wait for the dog to rock up with one in its mouth... Seriously the amount of times Ive opened the back door to find something sitting on the door mat. The list so far goes something like this.

Turtles X 2
Birds X 3
Rabbits X 2
Rats/mice x 10

luckily the turtles have been both ok. Only one bird was native. Didn't loose my sleep over the rabbit or vermin to be honest

Last edited:

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
A snare with meat, I bet they out smart that ! Ravens/Crows are one of the smartest birds out there, check em out on YouTube for their antics :D

[video=youtube;cpgCQj-sgqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgCQj-sgqk[/video]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I've seen people take them out with a slingshot. Their curiosity with camp life can be used as an opportunity to secure some game. I have had slow cooked raven and rook stew many times as a kid and it was delicious. Almost all meat, if cooked slow and long is tender.

Enigma1

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Raven tastes great. We slow simmer it for a while, then fry it in olive oil with some other ingrediants. Currawong isn't as good as Raven, in my opinion.

Pegasus

Les Stroud
Reaction score
If you are lucky enough to have vagrant feral introduced pigeons go through your place, I thoroughly recommend them for good eating. The amount of wonderful breast meat is astounding. Slow cook with your favourite spices. A real treat. Plucking birds must be done quite quickly. Don't be shy, just pluck away in the first few minutes as fast as possible. Don't be "neat". Leave neatness for later. Once the bird cools down (very quickly I might add!) , plucking becomes harder. Birds are a fantastic and safe source of protein. Yep, they have mites/lice etc but just wash your hands and arms thoroughly afterwards with soap and water and keep cleanliness and sanitation a priority. Prepare your game AWAY from camp. In mild temperatures a game bird can be hung overnight without worry. For hanging any game, those cheap "polishing cloths" in the automotive section of well know supermarkets are Number 1. Cheap as chips and they work. Game birds are a delicacy enjoyed all around the world except for Australia for some reason? Not sure why? I know that I enjoy them. Remember that "sick" feral animals don't survive in the wild for long. You are highly unlikely to get a "sick" animal out bush. Don't go within ten yards of game birds which live in cities/suburbia though. Black Olives, chilli, garlic and a bit of balsamic vinegar with rosemary..... my mouth is watering already! ;)