Dwellingup for the next WA meet?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ok Western Australians,
Time to again start planning another WA meet.
I'm thinking Dwellingup perhaps and maybe this time we have a theme like water procurement or fire lighting or....something.
I have no real knowledge of the area. The last time I was there was about 20 years ago.
Anyone want to stick their paw in the air for this one?
It would be great to see a heap of us get together. There is a bucket load of us in WA and I, for one, would love to meet up with you.
Dwellingup is not too far from the city and is an interesting location.
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
IMHO, Dwellingup has become too restricted as a result of it being too popular. Not much room for camping where you feel like it, and long weekends require booking of a campsite.

I'd suggest Grimwade, also an old mill town, but a heap more space and less people about. Permanent water, too. About 30km SE of Donnybrook via the Kirup turnoff.
I've never car camped there - only walked thru once on the Bibb - but a WAussie over at ABF brought it to my attention.

Depending on dates, I'm happy to do a recce beforehand.

Another option is Boyagin Rock in the wandoo near Brookton. No water, might be better for a winter camp.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Redtail.

How did you go on the camp last weekend?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I'm not fussed. Dwellingup, Grimwade or Boyagin Rock, it doesn't make a difference to me but the latter are great options...
Grimwade, from the limited pix I've seen it looks the goods, and I could pick up some Kirup Syrup on the way. I think this would get my vote.
Boyagin Rock, on the other hand, is also attractive but might keep it for a winter wander.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
@Thrud - the Bibb Track overnighter the other weekend was excellent. The six of us had the hut to ourselves (it only sleeps 8!), which meant we didn't have to much about with wet tents. I'm guessing the rain on Saturday kept all the tourists away. And while it rained and got a bit windy, it was nowhere near as bad as the metro area.

I look like going to Boyagin Rock this weekend with Perth Bushwalkers. Driving up Sunday, walking, staying overnight (car camp), walking a bit more on Monday, then driving home. Good chance to do a recce.

Grimwade appeals to me because of the water and shade in what should be warmer weather.

Do they still flog that rocket fuel in Kirup, Bloffy?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Not sure but I'm willing to find out about the Kirup Syrup. Ok. my vote is Grimwade and Boyagin for a future trip (wow. That sounds like planning ahead....)
cheers
Bloffy

AussieBosun

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
depending on dates i'll be in , +1 on Grimwade (one of my favourites) , plenty of campsites & natural spring water , here's a couple of pic's

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'd suggest Grimwade, also an old mill town, ... a WAussie over at ABF brought it to my attention.
That'd be AussieBosun!

Depending on dates, I'm happy to do a recce beforehand. Another option is Boyagin Rock in the wandoo near Brookton. No water, might be better for a winter camp.
Having now been to Boyagin Rock, I can say it has some very good walking and some very good rock forms, apart from the rock itself.
Some excellent hollow cave shelters, and plenty of trees for the swingers.
My suspicions are confirmed that it's better for a winter or spring camp as there's very little water about.

Looks like we're all heading for Grimwade before Xmas?

AussieBosun

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I will be away most of the time until december 7th , even though i want to catch up with you guys please choose a date that suits the majority , AB

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Maybe a Bush Christmas meet then? Actually, looking at the calendar, early December might suit me too. Damn it fills up fast around this tiime of year. If that's the case, we need to be near water then.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Back in 2013, we West Australians spoke of going to Grimwade for a weekend but it never got off the ground.
Now I am keen to catch up with you ugly buggers but my calendar is pretty full through to July. So I am going to be a bit selfish here and put up a date. JULY 22-24, 2016.
I think AussieBosun put up the location first but it seemed to be a good spot. I know it will be cold but, you know what, who cares. Let's just do it.
Bushcrafting is about appreciating the bush in all its guises. Winter is a great time to get out amongst it. I can bring a couple of kayaks if you want.
Get your names in early and you can work out the carpooling etc out of the city.
Let us know your thoughts.
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Great idea. Are you suggesting Grimwade or Dwellingup?

May I also humbly suggest that you start this in a new topic in this section so it's not lost in this old thread?