F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
OK... so some DVD's to look out for:

- Ron Hood's "Woodsmaster" series
- John & Geri McPhearson's "Naked into the Wilderness" series
- Les Hiddens "Bush Tucker Man" series
- Thomas J Elpel's "Art of Nothing Wilderness Survival" series
- "Mountain" Mel Dewise "Learn to become a survivor in the wild"

These can all be found through a Google search...

TV shows:
1- Man, Woman, Wild - Discovery Chanel (DC)
2- Dual Survival - DC
3- Ray Mears: any of them...
4- Survivorman - DC
5- Man v Wild / Born Survivor - DC (I dont like his style but sometime he has some good info)
6- Lars Monsen: any of them...

Movies:
- Serephim Falls
- The Edge
- The Hunted
- Robinson Crusoe
- Robin Hood (2010 ed)
- Dream catcher
- Ofelas
- Pathfinder
- Last of the Mohicans
- The Patriot

Just a few to get the thread started...

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
DVD's:
Dick Proenneke - Alone In The Wilderness
Bill Mason - Waterwalker

TV:
Malcom Douglas - Any of them (I enjoyed "In The Bush" alot)
Beyond Boundaries - BBC

Movies:
The Fast Runner
Point Last Seen
Into The Wild
Dersu Uzala*
The Last Trapper
The Snowalker
Jeremiah Johnson
Nanook Of The Noth
A Man Called Horse
40 North roughcut
Never Cry Wolf
Hell In The Pacific
Cast Away
Braving Alaska
Alive
Ronja Rövardotter
The Earthling
Grey Owl
Le Dernier Trappeur
Tracker

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Ok... got another one to add, I just watched it last night:

The way back - Polish Army Officer (and woodsman) escapes from Russian Gulag during WW2 and walks from southern Russia to India via Tibet, exercising a lot of wilderness skills along the way...

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
In to the wild....If you have not see it yet you are missing out.The film is based on a true story of a young chaps walk in the Alaskan wideness...I don't so say much more that.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Walkaout..I loved this film as a kid and still do.The cinematography is just amazing..

[video=youtube;dgWrVIPAzJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWrVIPAzJo&feature=related[/video]

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned a truely great series that many aussies seem to base their learning from and that is
Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures Season 1- 2 and his Celebrity Challenge DVD''s :)
Alot can be learnt from these titles,

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
''Van Dieman's Land" The true story of Alexander Pierce,the cannibal convict.A dark,morbid and yet beautiful film (the scenery I mean), recreating the account of Pearce and his escape from Sarah Island,SW Tasmania. With other convicts at loose with him, it became not only a test of personal endurance and desperation, but exposed the darkest depths of humanity imaginable.The original 'take away tucker' franchise in Tassie!!:(

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Six Days Seven Nights

Harrison Ford, a pilot is stranded on an island with a magazine writer....etc.

Somehow I just reminded myself of this film... I actually enjoyed this film and have seen it a couple of times now.

Its not going to teach you anything new but its a pretty good laugh and its a good one to watch with the misses, she will enjoy the romatic bits and you will enjoy the bushcraft and relate to his possition. Harisson ford does the brooding man thing brilliantly and its a pretty good laugh. There is even pirates!

Here is a little clip for a taster..

[video=youtube;M0_hQMvxAhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0_hQMvxAhY&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Ripped off, stranded on a deserted island and you get stuck with a woman who bats fo the "other team" (Anne Heche). Must have annoyed a diety.

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I came across these browsing the web today, might be worth a look if you can find them...

Bush Tucker is Everywhere (1987) (Video Excerpt - Link)
Bush Tukka Woman (2008) (Link)

nifty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The Hunter Willem Dafoe, A mercenary hired by a bio tech firm to find a Tassie Tiger. Stunning scenery set in the Tasmanian wilderness. I had a lump in my throat at the end...........OK, OK I cried. so what :)

nifty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the loud, overbearing, aggressive, Type A personality of that guy, this would be a really good show. He has that classic type of soldier mentality of "I must get from Point A to Point B at any cost". The female on the other hand goes with the flow looking for food conserving energy, adapting to the surroundings. In the book Deep survival, who lives who dies by Laurence Gonzales its the guy like that who sticks to rigid time frames and rules who comes unstuck and its why a fully kitted up camper will die in the woods and a 7 year old child with nothing will survive due to non adherence to deadlines.
Still, Its interesting to see more of these survival shows become mainstream entertainment. Thanks for the link GB

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
DVD's:
Grey Owl
I remember going to Leicester Square to see a pre release showing with a Q&A with Richard Atteborough after. Even got to shake the mans hand lovely bloke to talk to. It was for upcoming media students and I was teaching photography at the time.

Some good titles to get through here.

Just got "Long way round" and "Long way down" with ewan and charley rideing big bikes around the world.

Flash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Six Days Seven Nights

Saw this post yesterday and we're staying with friends who have a large DVD library so after seeing this post I looked at their collection and it was there. Of course we watched it last night. I'd forgotten I'd already seen it many years ago.