Drying fruit

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
As many of us know there are many & varied preparations an experienced bushman makes prior to heading into the sticks.

Here I am today drying apples to add to a 'hybrid' trail mix of nuts & seeds👌 From experience small quantities like this are OK, but large scale fruit drying can yield a losing battle with ants.

EDIT: Here is the fruit the next day. It has been hot and windy, so it dried quickly. This is 3 trays worth! (Apologies for the low-light shot).

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
If you laid the fruit on a wire netting bed it might be quicker and no need to turn.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It is usually done like that, yes. There are 2 more (vented) trays to the left, I just didn't get them all in the shot! It has been quite warm & breezy today, which has helped (y)

Last edited:

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Never thought to dry pumpkin when I was growing them, it would have been handy as had so many was giving them away. One of my favourite vegetables.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Keith, have you tried eating the dried pumpkin as it is? I could imagine it would be pretty good.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a great setup Keith and a great idea with the veggies.

A few questions if I may:

1. Where do you get those drying racks?
  2. How do your store your larger dried veg like that pumpkin?
  3. How long will it last dired?
  4. How dry do you get it? Do you get it to a point where its still got a bit of moisture a bit rubbery like dried apple?

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
That's a great setup Keith and a great idea with the veggies.

A few questions if I may:

1. Where do you get those drying racks?
  2. How do your store your larger dried veg like that pumpkin?
  3. How long will it last dired?
  4. How dry do you get it? Do you get it to a point where its still got a bit of moisture a bit rubbery like dried apple?

I know you wrote to Keith & I don't have all these answers, but fruits normally dry within 48hrs, if cut properly. I cut the apple about 5mm thick. It was a mid 30's summer day when I did mine and it all dried in a day and a half. I also left the skin on mine which I'm guessing would have increased the drying time. Hard to explain how dry it should be. I did mine so it was dry, but not crisp if you know what I mean, slightly rubbery. I don't think pumpkin would be much different to apple. It seems to have worked fine and tastes sweet too. I put it in jars separated by nuts and it has continued to dry in there to some extent too. I have no idea how long it would last, maybe 6-12 months. Perhaps look on a bag at a supermarket for an 'idea', but remember the bag is fully sealed/ airtight, so you may have to halve the time. Google is also your friend.

Last edited:

funkenstein

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi, Can i ask opinions on a design for a dehydrator. I live in sth east qld. My thoughts were to modify a 44gallon drum by cutting a door and using racks from old ovens as shelves . I would install a whirly bird in the top and put holes around the bottom to allow air flow. Then place in the sun. Can anyone see a fault in this set up?

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. I don't think flies like shade, however some fly screen to cover openings? Or maybe ants and or mice could be the more realistic problem? Wire fly screen should work for flies and mice and bigger ants etc.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Can i ask opinions on a design for a dehydrator. I live in sth east qld. My thoughts were to modify a 44gallon drum by cutting a door and using racks from old ovens as shelves . I would install a whirly bird in the top and put holes around the bottom to allow air flow. Then place in the sun. Can anyone see a fault in this set up?
Maybe Paint the drum black to soak up the heat. Also make legs on the drum, if you have issue with ants you can stand legs in pots of water, three legs are good, stabilises better with 3 and yeah need fine wire fly screen for large openings.

Post some photos when you get it’s done, kool project to follow