Drilled magnesium / Paracord Bracelet Toggle $1.19

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Correct, you can source magnesium rods cheaply off EBay and they work. I think Doan lighter? Again I have one, which is a block of magnesium with a hole and a striker down one side.
As you say they need something to ignite the fresh shavings, don't think a traditional striker would work. Probably twice the weight anyway!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looking at the link, I thing that is a striker and is not magnesium.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Correct, you can source magnesium rods cheaply off EBay and they work. I think Doan lighter? Again I have one, which is a block of magnesium with a hole and a striker down one side.
As you say they need something to ignite the fresh shavings, don't think a traditional striker would work. Probably twice the weight anyway!
I remember those things - pre fero rod :) They were around forever. So what is in my link isn't a good idea. I can see why they did this though, if they were ferocerium there would be a chance of creating hot sparks unintentionally if you were wearing it on your clothing somewhere.

Last edited:

Requiem

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I used the Coleman kind as a kid. I made thin curly shavings with my swiss army knife and used a ferro rod embedded on the side to try to light it. Very bright and hot when it worked. Ultimately only used when I couldn't find dry tinder. Discovered later in life that it works much better when you make a fine powdery pile. Now a days my knowledge of tinder is good enough that I only bring a ferro rod and bic lighter. If you happen to break your wrist injure your hand etc you'll be grateful for the use of a lighter or storm match or two.