Does one really need a 4x4?

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The exception is the landrover lovers but they know what they are getting into and accept the punishment. There is something special about them I admit. ;)
Except the Ex army Landys with the Izuzu Engines :) They go forever :) (Personal Bias of course) I never would have gone near a Land Rover otherwise :)

Lets face it it just has a certain level of cool factor :)

10252044_10152313220515932_8460829512734728137_n.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
love it. Is that a perentie? Always wanted one of those. Do you have any more photos of it wildfire?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
If your a Soccer Mum and can't see over the dash and only pick the kids up from school ? YES

Last edited:

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Land Rovers will get you there, but, Toyota's will bring you back! (An old joke - excluding that Perentie undoubtedly!)

I work with a few 4x4 tragics and personally drive an all-wheel drive (Subaru). Realistically speaking, even the most avid weekend warriors 4x4 spends 90% of its time on the tar - getting there, getting back, and around suburbia. So really, the costs don't add up unless it's a work vehicle, live remotely/rural, or towing heavy stuff.

A good comparison are the various 4x4 Clubs - compare the Nissan, Toyota, Subaru Clubs and you'll see them doing virtually the same iconic trips = Simpson Desert, Fraser Island, Poeppel Corner, et al.

In the end, it's not the quality of the vehicle, it's the quality of the driver.

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a 2006 N/A Hilux diesel, and I love it because having some creature comforts gets my wife out into the bush with me. Before that I used a motorcycle to get to my destination.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yes, No, Maybe.
All depends on how extreme you want to travel, how much you want or need to carry and how you want the weather to affect your plans.
Some of the best four wheeling I have done was in my JB Camira! You really learn throttle control in mud with slick road tyres on a front wheel drive.
Spent a few years driving off track in FNQ with the Army. Came across some interesting vvehicles that clearly cemonstrated the drivers capability to get where they were!
I work in the outdoors, am a 4wd guide and live near several road crossings that go under with moderate rain. "Stay home and wait it out" you say. Fair comment, but I am an SES group leader that goes out when others stay home.
I am in between Perentie Land rovers at the moment.
Gal chassis, truck engine, gearbox and drivetrain.
Light on fuel and tyres with minimal running and maintanence costs (12-14lt/ 100kms loaded)
It gets me away from the noise and yobs in the normal camp grounds and closer to the bush camps. I am 'time poor' so need to make the most of my time away.
I have been looking at a few 2wd options because my LRs are just too capable in the rough stuff and I am looking for more of a challenge.
The Falcon RTV utes with raised suspension look the goods, but I will need a wagon to fit the mob in.
Throw some 31"LT MTs on the back running 20psi should get me most places without too much effort.
For a inspiring and imaginative option, have a look at what these 2 did:

Victor the worlds furthest travelled home made car, 128 Countries, 360,000+klms, 6 1/2 years around the world, 1,800 nights in our roof top tent!

http://www.ouradventurebug.com/
Greaat people to talk too and well and truly have the runs on the board!

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I was really keen to get a 4x4 but the ones I like Prado and Landcruiser have engines that are way to big....

I love the idea of 4x4 motoring. I wouldn't do it often but it would be great to know I could if I wanted to...

I had a Landrover Discovery and it cost me bigtime. It was an awesome 4x4 but had a terminal issue and I lost a bundle of money...
Something like a Suzuki Jimmy is the ideal crossover. Probably not practical with a family, but small engine in a very capable vehicle!

Yes, I know it is really a personal choice/decision/need but given a cold cost v benefit analysis?
Its been said that a swimming pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into, a boat a hole in the water,
a horse a hole in the paddock and a 4x a hole in the road you pour money into.
No doubt a 4x can get you to some great out of the way places but does it also tend to take you past
a lot of interesting places at high speed too?
Mine doesn't take me anywhere at high speed!

Arwon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Noticed you have a steering lock on the Landrover, serious thieves just pull those off, had one on a holden that was nicked, found the twisted steering lock on the ground but no car.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I reckon the difference between what we need and what we want is a serious philosophical question!

I am old enough to remember not having a TV and listening to he wireless.

Not having a mobile phone.

Not having computers, photocopiers or the internet.

Somehow, my memory is that I survived quite well without them and lived quite happily.

That being said, I liked my first 4WD, the first Subaru Sports Wagon in Australia though I never really used the 4WD capacity.

I had a deep connection with Dennis, my 1985 Landcruiser whom I recently sold after 17 years of faithful service.

Do I need them? Well perhaps need is a bit of an overstatement BUT, I do use the 4WD capacity frequently and so it makes my life a lot easier.

In the end, it comes down to what we want I think, and I want a 4WD, I work hard and so feel OK about owning one and I use it regularly to maintain my cultural values and so it's all good by me.

KB

I am developing a relationship with my new 2015 Hi Lux.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I spent many years camping out of a 2wd hilux. I took that many places I should not have and got bogged a few times as well. I think 4wd gives you options but there is still a lot of fun to be had without them. Some people like the challenge of tackling a really rough road..that's not my cuppa and each to their own!

karl

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ask yourself:

-) Am I a soccer mum?
-) Do I have less than two legs?
-) Is my job / home or any other place I regularly go to not remarked in a street directory?
-) Is my male anatomy shorter than the surrounding hair?

If the answer to all that is no you don't 'need' a 4wd. It's mostly (there are exemptions) a marketing hype to make you spend more money. I.e. A landcruiser costs give for take $ 70,000+new, a corolla $ 25,000. A landcruiser will take you 600,000 to - I heard - 800,000 kms. A Corolla will take you 300,000 - 400,000 (if you look after it). Two Corollas is $ 50,000 plus cheaper maintenance.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I feel the only real advantage for me in having a 4 x 4 is a bit more ground clearance. I sold my Pajero when my kids were born as I didn't use it any more, I traded it in for an Outlander which still has heaps of space and will go anywhere I want to go. In saying that I have bottomed the Outlander out a few times.

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
As has been said - need? No. Does it help? Yes. I often take my little 2wd Suzuki swift to places with ready access and either walk or ride from civilisation, and it's often a good idea to have an innocuous vehicle when parking in dodgy areas as it's a lesser target than a rigged 4wd.

I do, however, have a troopy (75 series Landcruiser) - and I will never part with it by choice. With over 350 000 km on the odo, it's bulletproof and runs like a metronome. Rigged for touring, it's taken me places I'd never have been able to see otherwise. Just having a 4wd increases the variety of places you can even think about exploring; it also allows you to carry the kind of gear necessary for trips into uncertain areas.

I can throw the mountain bike in the back, kayak on the roof, and all the gear necessary for using both; while carrying 6 people.

The 75 series (like an oldschool Defender) is something of an extreme though; it's agricultural, in a word - something I wouldn't change for the world. I hate beeping talking bleeping cars that attempt to make up for any mistake you might make, before you make them. I like manual windows, manual locks, and the lack of a computer-controlled engine. She's a little slow uphill, but that's how it goes. For most people your modern Navara or Hilux will do the trick, but don't think they'll take you across the Simpson and back without incurring scars. Most 4wds build in the last 10 years just aren't up to the task. Too much plastic and low grade materials; corrugations will be the end of them.

Buy whatever is suitable for what you want to do.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
This thread was always going to turn in to one for haters.
Do you need a 4wd? do you need to be on the internet? do you need to carry a knife? There are only a few things in life we actually do need but a lot of things that can make out life more enjoyable. I have traveled Australia for as long as i can remember and so have my family, we have seen places that most haven't and my children have grown up enjoying and appreciating every aspect of our great country. My eldest daughter actually turned 2 at Derby on a 17500km trip so its just part of their life and if you closed your eyes and stuck your finger on a map of Australia you wont find a spot i haven't been within a few 100k's of, all in a 4WD. Sure you could get to all the places on foot, horse or helicopter but for us we have chosen a 4wd. Something else to consider is the things that make them heavier and have less performance is the fact they are made more robust, even the suv type, compare wheel bearings or suspension components for example, and its this that also make them last longer. My landcruiser has 350k very hard km's on it, my wife's courier that we use on the farm is just shy of that and my work Kluger has 250 and they are all still well within their serviceable life.
So while i understand its fashionable in some circles to bag 4wd's perhaps first they should consider that maybe that's just what suites some people best, and i can say with certainty, my families life has been fuller due to owning one.

Last edited:

Soz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
It does come down to personal preference and where your end destination will be. I do a lot of camping/orienteering and need to get to areas where a standard SUV cannot drive. I also go hunting and certainly only a proper 4x4 is needed.
I owned Toyotas and Nissans and now migrated to a Land Rover Defender (ok start the bashšŸ˜€) and enjoying it. Not the most comfortable but gets me there and BACK!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Awesome photo Soz, would make for a good desktop background

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I think it comes down to your life style and it can be summed up by Cost of living with a 4x4 the rest of the time over the amount of x factor contribution to your fun. If you are happy with this ratio then get the 4x4 if not then it is a burden. As an example before I moved house I used to do a lot of city KMs doing the run around and would not have wanted the extra expense. Now I have moved house I drive less then 50km a week and something like 90% of my KM are leasure. I am now thinking that the ratio of inconvience is a lot lower and haveing a 4x4 would let me do more stuff like get into the interesting spots in the bush, tow my sail boat, get my canoes places, drive in the snow alot more confedently etc.

It really comes down to that idea and the answer is differnt for everyone.