Does anyone know anything about pants like these I just found at the op shop?

Wandering Spirit

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was reading through a thread this morning about "coat camping" and generally camping minimally and I was inspired and thought I would go check the op shop while doing my food shopping to see if there was anything useful - turns out there was the pants pictured below in my size for $6, after trying them on I decided to buy them.

IMG_1461.jpgIMG_1465.jpg
IMG_1467.jpgIMG_1469.jpg

They are quite heavy and I think made of wool, a few buttons need repairing and they need a wash as they are a little smelly too, but all in all feel like they'd be quite warm, much warmer than jeans or cotton pants.

I wanted to ask if anyone here knows anything about these pants and how they might perform spending cold nights outdoors? I would like to know some history about them also if possible as the style seems quite old; and what the 'pros and cons' might be to going bush with them.

Thank you - Damian

julius

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
wear longjons or youll be scratching like hell. i had some surplus wool socks once. swedish i think . very itchy.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Someone on here posted a mix for really good wool wash that was supposed to make the wool garments fell soft and not scratchy. I think it was in one of the wool blanket threads.

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheap hair conditioner for normal hair is probably the best thing to plush up itchy wool but the only thing that wally works is wear. The trade off is, itchy wool has a very long life, as it is very durable. The finer the wool the more fragile it is.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I used to take the old Australian army woollen pants for treks in Tassie....nearly 40 years ago. They were great .

KB