DIY eyed auger, no welding or blowtorch - PLUS the amazing trakkie daks vice

silver_capsicum

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Inspired by Aussie123, DIY auger projects (https://bushcraftoz.com/threads/bushcraft-auger-homemade.7742/ and https://bushcraftoz.com/threads/a-new-auger.9732/ ) but lacking a welder or blowtorch for the "drill a hole, heat it up and bash it in" method, I was considering other ways to put one of these together.

It took a bit of wandering around the local big green shed looking for inspiration but I settled on a galvanised threaded tee with a threaded stopper that magically had a 1/2" square protrusion for tightening, plus an auger drill bit with 1/4" hex drive. I already had a 1/2" drive 1/4" hex socket. Unfortunately I can't find all these parts on the website so no links, but it was less than $20.

The galvanised stopper didn't quite fit in the socket straight up but a few licks of a file and it went straight in. Here's how it went together:

Here it is augering the sh!t out of some box alder for my attempt at a shrink pot (work in progress)

After it got to this point my wrist was getting a bit sore from holding the wood so I started experimenting. Holding it in my feet was OK but I got a bit sore. Then I tried this which worked a treat! Wound right up and held very securely. Just had to make sure I arranged myself correctly first and stopped before I put a hole in my pants. If one was wearing more outdoors appropriate attire, it could probably be improvised with some cord wrapped around the waist or something.

27229 27230

Success!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
....I'm glad you stopped when you did!
I can see an injury to a very tender part of your anatomy.

silver_capsicum

Russell Coight
Reaction score
....I'm glad you stopped when you did!
I can see an injury to a very tender part of your anatomy.
Haha yeah I was acutely aware of this - but realistically it's not like you're smashing this through like a drill. Each twist of the handle takes a fair bit of effort and probably only moves the auger bit about 1 or 2 mm. With a bit of padding there you're fine I think.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Great work on the auger.

If you're looking for tips on holding work have a look at the Spring Vice: https://www.bushcraftoz.com/threads/a-bush-vice-the-spring-vice.9737/#post-99673
This works really well and is actually very simple to improvise. If you use it a few times you'll work out where the hacks are to simplify even more ...

How did the shrink pot go ? That's definitely on my list if I get some good wood.

silver_capsicum

Russell Coight
Reaction score
How did the shrink pot go ? That's definitely on my list if I get some good wood.
It was a very satisfying process. Partly because it was wood I chopped off a mate's garden which is way softer than the hard aussie wood I'm used to, which really gives context to those videos with people carving wood like it's butter, but I think it's just a cool thing to try.

I've watched a few videos on shrink pots and it seems like the ideal method is auger and long gouge to do the bulk of the hollowing, smooth with a hook knife and then use a scorp to make the groove at the bottom into which you fit a plate of seasoned wood cut with a coping saw. I'm missing some of these tools so made do with what I had (but those gouges do look pretty sweet....)

I augered the middle out as above, then used my hook knife to go around and around to hollow out the rest. Then I axed out a thin bit of wood and thinned it down further and shaped it with my whittling knife. I made the groove around the bottom with my whittling knife too, then gently tapped into place.

That's all. I didn't end up making a lid because I'm going to use it as a holder for some spoons I made for my sister (those are olive wood), but will probably do that on my next one. It hasn't dried yet so it could still crack!