Dispersed Camping NSW

EucalyptusEvie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
It seems like for the most part it's illegal to camp anywhere that isn't a dedicated campground.
What is the workaround for this? Have you ever been caught, or worried about getting caught?
What's the worst that could happen if you are caught? Given a slap on the wrist and told to move along, or fined?

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
What about state parks and national parks? There are quite a lot of those around - some are tiny though. It's a growing problem, along with our population, and will continue to be so. Amenities are often needed to deal with the larger numbers in smaller areas that are still available.

Last edited:

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
how and where do you want to camp? Plenty of free camping spots in Australia.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It seems like for the most part it's illegal to camp anywhere that isn't a dedicated campground.
What is the workaround for this? Have you ever been caught, or worried about getting caught?
What's the worst that could happen if you are caught? Given a slap on the wrist and told to move along, or fined?
What about National Parks as Randall suggests, or Forestry?
Okay, had a bit of a search. Check out these sites EucalyptusEvie https://www.gallivantingoz.com.au/free-camping-australia
https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/camping/locations

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/camping-safety
Keith.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Don't know much about camping in Nat Parks on the eastern coastline as most of my camping is west of the Blue Mountains. Have camped at random spots in Nat Parks over the years and not had any problems with authorities.

There is not much staffing for the NP&WS in the western regions to be truthful.

As for Forestry Lands its pretty well go where you like, just have to keep an eye out for 4WD hoons or trailbikers depending where you go. Newnes Plateau can be a madhouse most of the time and I would avoid Newnes Plateau.

There are plenty of tracks where quiet campsites can be found in the Bathurst/Oberon or further west.

Of course depending on how capable your vehicle is for rough tracks. Forestry do little or no track maintenance except where there is pine tree harvesting taking place.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
What about National Parks as Randall suggests, or Forestry?
Okay, had a bit of a search. Check out these sites EucalyptusEvie https://www.gallivantingoz.com.au/free-camping-australia
https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/camping/locations

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/camping-safety
Keith.

One problem I found with National Parks is you are required to bring you're own firewood with you, and I like to have a campfire when bush camping. Many parks supply it, you just have to be lucky someone hasn't used it up. The other thing with national parks is depending on where you, go they can be busy and some people like the solitude. There are however many national parks, especially bush ones that are seldom camped in.

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Dispersed camping isn't illegal. It is where you camp that can be illegal. The problem I found is that if I chose a national park, you have to bring your own firewood with you, unless its supplied. In some places they do this, but you have to hope it hasn't been used up. I have done this, but its good to go somewhere where you can feel a real sense of the bush, and sometimes I like to hike to a camp spot to full-fill this sense. Recently I took a lot of time looking for a stealth campsite. My suggestion is to approach land owners, build up a rapport and ask if you may camp on their land. If camping on private property you can be asked to move, but I have never heard of this happening, only in populated areas or in places like England. And I have never heard of it happening in Australia, especially if someone stealth camps, as they cant be seen anyway and there is plenty of space and less people. If you plan on living out there you are likely to be seen one day. In the 1980's we knew of people who had moved out to serious remote bush in Cape York. They lived their most of their lives and never got caught or questioned. I have also heard of bush communities of homeless people who camp on the fringes of country towns and are never moved on because they are in a group I think. I saw on You Tube a lot of people who live on private property, rotate their camp spots, effectively living rent free for years and are rarely caught. The biggest threat to stealth campers are tourists camping in populated areas and popular tourists spots, who leave a mess, IMO. Whatever you choose to do, my advice is just stay out of military exercise zones and other sensitive government property, adhere to fire ban codes, don't leave a mess and don't stealth camp where you are likely to get run over by a trail bike or car. Other than this no one cares. Rangers I've met when camping alone in winter with no one around have been really cool. They respect and like real bush campers, as long as you respect the bush. When I have needed to disperse camp (usually while travelling interstate or long distances), I have done so professionally, respectfully and taken it seriously as I don't want to be discovered and for it to become yet 'another thing' the government chooses to police and make money from.

https://bushcraftoz.com/threads/scouting-for-a-stealth-campsite.10121/#post-103038

Last edited:

EucalyptusEvie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Dispersed camping isn't illegal. It is where you camp that can be illegal. The problem I found is that if I chose a national park, you have to bring your own firewood with you, unless its supplied. In some places they do this, but you have to hope it hasn't been used up. I have done this, but its good to go somewhere where you can feel a real sense of the bush, and sometimes I like to hike to a camp spot to full-fill this sense. Recently I took a lot of time looking for a stealth campsite. My suggestion is to approach land owners, build up a rapport and ask if you may camp on their land. If camping on private property you can be asked to move, but I have never heard of this happening, only in populated areas or in places like England. And I have never heard of it happening in Australia, especially if someone stealth camps, as they cant be seen anyway and there is plenty of space and less people. If you plan on living out there you are likely to be seen one day. In the 1980's we knew of people who had moved out to serious remote bush in Cape York. They lived their most of their lives and never got caught or questioned. I have also heard of bush communities of homeless people who camp on the fringes of country towns and are never moved on because they are in a group I think. I saw on You Tube a lot of people who live on private property, rotate their camp spots, effectively living rent free for years and are rarely caught. The biggest threat to stealth campers are tourists camping in populated areas and popular tourists spots, who leave a mess, IMO. Whatever you choose to do, my advice is just stay out of military exercise zones and other sensitive government property, adhere to fire ban codes, don't leave a mess and don't stealth camp where you are likely to get run over by a trail bike or car. Other than this no one cares. Rangers I've met when camping alone in winter with no one around have been really cool. They respect and like real bush campers, as long as you respect the bush. When I have needed to disperse camp (usually while travelling interstate or long distances), I have done so professionally, respectfully and taken it seriously as I don't want to be discovered and for it to become yet 'another thing' the government chooses to police and make money from.

https://bushcraftoz.com/threads/scouting-for-a-stealth-campsite.10121/#post-103038
Thank you! It's great to hear your first-hand experience!