Dimensions for single Millbank bag ? Query for Templar

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
My Millbank bag has disappeared
Templar I am assuming you have one, and I have been unable to find plans on-line, I need the dimensions and angles so I can sew one up. Would you be able to measure yours for me at some point??

The design; while simple, took a long time to get right and apparently the angles are important for correct flow

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
No worries mate,

millbank_filter_bag - Copy.jpg

200 x 450 x 180 x 20 x 50 mm

Approx angles:

145 deg long side "toe to heel"
55 deg short side of "toe"

Hope it helps...

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
It would be so much easier just to buy one but you cannot.
Apparently the destroy rather than sell doctrine applies to all surplus Australian gear now, not just uniforms and weapons, and I have found none on ebay Funny thing is I aw in in Aussie Disposals ;last year and didn't buy because I already had one.
It was only $8.95 too.
My thanx Templar/Karl

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Just phoned them. They are calling me back. Amazing that this was a no hit query on Google; Google isn't omnipotent.
Anybody else want one while I'm ordering; they do wholesale.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well they are getting dearer, new ones dated 1994 $19.95 each plus post
WW2 issue for collectors and re-enactors $ 34.95 each plus postage.

Need to order 100 units to get a better price but I was offered 10% as a forum deal, nice to know that just mentioning an Aussie site was worth the small discount. thanx for the info share Karl.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Wow! they are getting dearer... I bought a couple from them a while ago and it cost me about $5 each...

Nice to know they may offer a dicount... all those looking for a hootchie could group in and get one from them... again they have a lot of those too...

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
good idea, a hootchie millbank group buy sounds interesting

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah the cost is putting me off as well, I think I am just going to go with my 100% cotton bandana for preliminary water filtering, then puri tabs, wait 1/2 an hour and then drink thru my straw filter.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
These things are pretty easy to make, it's just a large sock made of tight woven cotton, almost like the canvas they use to make waterbags...

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
I picked up a Millbank bag today at a camping shop in Goulburn on my way home from Canberra for $20. I could have sworn the last time I went looking for one they were under $10. The one I got has a British NSN but is made in Australia by Clayton. It's not brand new, but I would bet I'm the only person to have ever run water through it.

They are a great bit of gear for filtering out the floaties and sinkies in advance of chemical or even UV treatment of suspect water. They are relatively light and pack down small.

Like the OP said, it's probably cheaper and easier to make your own rather than buy one.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a local army surplus around the corner from me, $10 a pop for genuine army issues milbanks, needless to say I now have a few, but they had heaps there, guy running the place was telling me that most people don't even know what they are.......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I know, this guy is a wholesaler, massive warehouse, sells to aussies and anaconda and all that, opens up to the public every Friday.......