D'harawal Climate and Natural Resources, Frances Bodkin & Lorraine Robertson - 2013

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
D'harawal Climate and Natural Resources, Frances Bodkin & Lorraine Robertson - 2013

ISBN: 9780858812451
Published by Envirobook, a division of Trekaway Pty. Ltd.

Not a history book and not a bush tucker book. It goes far deeper than that.

9780858812451.jpg

I've been slowly digesting this book over the past few months as the season turns from Autumn to Winter. It's a book about the cycles around which the lives and culture of the D'harawal language group ebbed and flowed. The D'harawal Country and language area extends from the southern shores of Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to the northern shores of the Shoalhaven River, and from the eastern shores of the Wollondilly River system to the eastern seaboard.

Despite the specific geographic areas covered by the book, I know that the information is accurate for areas up and down eastern NSW and inland to the Great Dividing Range. If you're in Ulladulla or Port Stephens, or Bega or Ballina, the book will have relevance for plants and animals in your area.

It covers Gamaruwamumu, the times of the day. It covers the Annual cycle, with its six distinct "seasons". It covers the Mudong cycle, which lasts 11-12 years. It covers the Garuwanga cycle which lasts 20,000 years and has four "seasons" in itself.

A wonderful book and a tremendous resource for the naturalist or bushman/bushwoman seeking to understand more about the natural cycles about which modern science has barely scratched the surface.

Last edited:

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Mozzie, I've had "Murni Dhungang Jirrar" as a hard copy on the bookshelf for a few years and it's a great book.

The "D'harawal Climate and Natural Resources" book is a relatively new addition to my bookshelf, I picked up at a tourist info centre back in January this year.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score