Plant Dead Tree ID

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I found this in a bushland near where I live and was wondering what sort if tree it comes from. I was thinking Acacia but I am not too sure as it has been dead for ages so no leaves or flowers.

Cheers
Phil

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I think it might be a native only because the area was rehabilitated by a council appointed arborist and all non native trees were removed last year (although it wouldn't be the first time they made a mistake). I should probably point out that I live in Brisbane and the park is a floodway with heaps of tea trees.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The bark does look like a wattle, I have never cut one down so I do not know what the interior wood looks like. Reminds me of the Acacia Acuminata growing neer my house.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I think it might be a native only because the area was rehabilitated by a council appointed arborist and all non native trees were removed last year (although it wouldn't be the first time they made a mistake). I should probably point out that I live in Brisbane and the park is a floodway with heaps of tea trees.
So, were there other trees with similar looking bark anywhere about ?

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
So, were there other trees with similar looking bark anywhere about ?
Acacia, Poinciana and Casuarina are the ones that I have seen nearby that most resembles the stump. I'm going to try and turn a piece of it in to a spoon this afternoon, although I'm sure it will be a pain because of how old the wood is. Thanks for all the help!

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Just a thought, you could check the ground around the stump for seed pods. There may be e few still sitting on the ground depending on when the tree was cut down. Hope you didn't cut yourself.

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Just a thought, you could check the ground around the stump for seed pods. There may be e few still sitting on the ground depending on when the tree was cut down. Hope you didn't cut yourself.
It was all covered by mulch fairly recently so there were no dead leaves or seeds to be found unfortunately.

My best guess at the moment is Hickory Wattle (possibly Black Wattle) as I have found one nearby, the bark looks similar and I found it as described in Wild Plants of Greater Brisbane. Here is the spoon I made yesterday, it's rough and the bowl is probably too deep but I recently received a Mora 164 in the mail and had to try it out:

Cheers
Phil