BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Daywalk pack around 20L and $50 - options?

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Could always go with an "AusPack":

Australian military back pack used in the Vietnam era, commonly refered to as the "Aust Pack"
  • Overall size : 50 x 35 x 20cm approx.
  • 2 top side pockets 22 x 17 x 6cm approx.
  • Top compartment 23 x 25 x 17cm approx.
  • Bottom compartment 34 x 25 x 17cm approx.
View attachment 4068

That brings back some fond, but painful, memories. It was my first all-purpose bushwalking rucksack back in the 80's - used it till it fell apart and had to be returned to the Crown. I was able to fit 10-days worth of gear into it. Good points - slimlines and hard-wearing. Bad points - very uncomfortable 'frame', suspect waterproofness (lid). Time have changed and there are much better designs and materials available. Though, for a day-walk pack, it would be a good choice - no waist belt though.

Bushman Ben

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Another one for you to ponder mate. No real info on this though apart from what they say on the site.
I cant tell if it really is the goods or just a fashion attempt
http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/MFH/Vintage_Style_Canvas_Rucksack/3220/2817.html

Isn't that basically the same as the 30L Katoomba on the BCOZ store? Looks very similar.

If it is; Im really liking my Katoomba; the outside pockets are a bit loose, but if they're sufficiently stuffed, its quite well sealed. the quality of the pack is good, feels quite hardy. I've been using mine the last week or so, took it for a couple of short 5km walks just to get a feel for it full and it was very comfortable

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If you are still looking, in the last year I have been picking up a bunch of under 50 dollar military packs. Right now I have the Swiss, German and Austrian Mountain packs, as well as an old Czech pack. Each have their strenghts and weaknesses. My overall choice for the OP's stated conditions it would have to be the German Mountain pack. The Swiss is great if wet conditions expected (survived two dunkings into Lake Ontario and everything bone dry) or a heavier load than the normal daywalk supplies. The Austrian pack I had to end up mounting onto an old Canadian 62 pattern Jump ruck frame and now it is awesome for big loads like a weekend outing, but it is ballistic nylon as apposed to the cotton/canvas of the others.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No NO NO you dont want any of them what you want is the Berghaus Munro it is bombproof.

I have one and it is great. Basic. 35ltr. internal frame. great pack.

Nuff said.

http://store.berghaus.com/p/day-sacks/munro-day-sack/402280

Swampy,

Will have to agree to disagree I hope. I really like the Swiss pack, and it was way cheaper than the berghaus that you provided the link for. Part of my reason that I say this is my own personal preferance, and the second part is the price. The OP was looking for something in the 50 dollar range, and the Berghaus on the web site was at 54 british pounds...

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No offence taken at all. With all the "What is the best. Im looking for please advise" questions you will get as many replies as there are packs, knives, axes etc out there.
In the end it is what you are comfortable with and can afford. As for the price because we are outside the EU you can take 20% off the price and P&P is only 20GBP from the UK so still a bit pricey and above your price range but it is a good strong bag and has been used by the brit trooper for decades and they have never changed the way it is made. Ill never get rid of mine.

Swampy

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
it is a good strong bag and has been used by the brit trooper for decades and they have never changed the way it is made. Ill never get rid of mine.

Swampy

Swampy,

That statement I can agree upon!!! I still have my Cdn '62 pattern ruck that was issued to me back in the mid 80's before they switched to the '84 pattern (and there is a new one since I got out and still another on the "soon to be issued" rumour mill). Even with some design flaws with the 62 (the bag was on the bottom under the sleeping bag valise so you needed to unstrap the sleeping bag to get things out of the main compartment), the frame is outstanding, and is still the prefered ruck of the jump troops (sadly we no longer have the Airborne Armoured Recee capability) which take the frame and most of the webbing and either replace the bag with something more modern or move it to the top and rig it down. The other thing I did with mine when I was using it "professionally" was to take the long webbing straps ("souvinered" mine from the back of an MLVW ) and replace the ones issued to hold down the valise. This is my long winded way of saying that sometimes a ruck becomes more important than it's actually carrying capacity. Love my Jump ruck and to quote Swampy "...I'll never get rid of mine."

So to come back to the original topic - for the OP, try out a bunch of rucks as your personal preference may change based upon actually trying them on; find one (or more) that you really like (you will know it when you find it)...we can't tell you what you will find works for you, we can only pass on what works for us.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Katoomba pack but I'm pretty convinced I don't need it as I have a Badlands Hybrid and although it is a hunting pack at the end of the day it
does an excellent job of carrying stuff it is comfortable has a 3L bladder and the best thing about it is I already paid for it haha. I'm pretty sure I could live from this pack
for a couple of days even with my limited experience.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear.php?userChoice=hybrid

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I want to go back and ask Redtail why he thinks 30 litres is too big?
Nothing worse than a bag that is too small.
When you compare finished weight and carrying comfort there is little difference between a 20 litre and a 30 litre pack and having a little extra room allows the carriage of stuff inside the pack where it belongs not swinging on the outside or strapped on.
15-20 litres is about right for a haversack tho, in the same way as 10 to 12 litres is about right for a bum bag.
Better a big pack half filled than a small pack overstuffed.
Just so you know my small daypack is about 35litres and my big day and a half bag is 45, 45 litres is borderline for winter

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
And a fair question at that, Moondog ...

Try as I might, I can't fill the 30L Maxped Condor. Even tied down with its compression straps, I find I'm still carrying a lot of fresh air. 20-25L is the sweet spot for me. I actually tried a cheap knock-off of the same style as the Falcon II and is was perfect for size and format. Except, it started falling apart before I got it to its first walk. Thankfully, I was able to get a full refund, but that's another story.

I carry my lunch, a handful of snacks, 3L hydro system, PSK / 1st Aid kit, Pocket Stove (this one http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?3255-Backpacking-Light-(UK)-Pocket-Stove-titanium), 700mL billy (or smaller), fleece or raincoat, bin's, fixed blade (BK2 Necker, or puuko), SAK, spare socks, hand sanitiser, bog roll. And IIRC, I didn't fill it all that time either.

The Condor is good if the weather looks bad or I want a bit extra, but for daywalking in the hills around Perth, 20-25 is just fine.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
OK, fair comment.
Have you thought about or tried making one of those American civil war style snapsacks?
Easy home project, I think Templar posted links for that one, long and skinny and worn over one shoulder, better balance than a haversack or messenger bag.