Day hike, sydney northwest, this Saturday afternoon

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get out for a hike and some bush time this Saturday afternoon.

My local spot to go is Berowra regional park which runs from access points at Dural, Galston Gorge, Crosslands and Berowra Waters.

Just wondering if anyone wanted to get out for a walk and bush time.

Could be anything from the near 10k round trip from Galston gorge to crosslands and back or just some goofing around at crosslands with gear.

Anyway, just putting it out there.. Saturday afternoon!!

Simon.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to join you mate but my buddy is moving :(

Have a great time..

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I could be tempted. I haven't been walking much of late though. Fractured toe which I'd just got over when I was hit by a lovely case of gastro that lasted 8 days LOL. Only just back to feeling normal this week. If you don't mind a potentially slow walker I'd give it a go though. I've been meaning to get back out as all of that has seen me put on about 4kg (yes I know you're supposed to lose weigh with gastro).

What time are you thinking of starting etc?

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I could be tempted. I haven't been walking much of late though. Fractured toe which I'd just got over when I was hit by a lovely case of gastro that lasted 8 days LOL. Only just back to feeling normal this week. If you don't mind a potentially slow walker I'd give it a go though. I've been meaning to get back out as all of that has seen me put on about 4kg (yes I know you're supposed to lose weigh with gastro).

What time are you thinking of starting etc?

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

head off from the gorge or around that area at noon? we could do crosslands to blackash which is only a couple of k each way if that's more suitable to easing back into it for you.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Don't adjust your plans to suit me. Worse case I can always double back early if I'm finding it too tough. I think I'd be right though, I'll pack light.

Noon sounds fine. Only possible hiccup is the concreter is finally starting work on a small extension tomorrow. Should be fine unless I've misunderstood his directions and need to do some digging on the weekend LOL.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds good, hope you get a few takers Lep, weather is looking nice, best time now be it a bit cool and not so stinking hot.

We normally hike Saturdays as well but i have a CASA DAMP induction to do, going to be very interesting !!.

Get us a few photos (as you always do), we can all join vicariously then :sorrriso:

mozz

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

You must be happy you don't have to dig anymore holes on the weekend?!

Have you been out and about in the Berowra Valley much before? Just thinking that if not there are some walks that give a few nice views that would be good so you can get a lay of the land. Or if you have you may have a fav walk that you want to do.

Easiest access point is the bottom of the Galston Gorge at the bridges there.. from there you can head north to blackash campsite with is just short of Crosslands Reserve. The track is single and fairly closed in, rocky...(just thinking of how toe stubable it is.. fairly) OR from the Gorge head south which starts will a little climb and then is fire trail like. It takes you past a couple of camp sites and gives some views, there is a side track up there that I have been meaning to check out too

The wildwalks website has the great north walk in short sections which if you haven't been around there is worth a look

OR even meet at crosslands reserve and then head north to the Calna creek bridge which has been down for ages, there is a water crossing that I havnt been to see yet and a camp site on the other side.

That's one great thing about Berowra Valley, the options can be crippling.

Time wise I can be wherever we start at 12. Thinking a few hours yeah? hour walk each way and another one crafting or whatever..

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yeah, everything went fairly smoothly yesterday. Bit of a hiccup with the inspection which I hope they don't change their mind from what was agreed upon verbally.

I think I've been up that way but it's easily been 10 years, probably more, so I don't recall any of it really. I'm up for whatever so if there's something you want to check out, that'll do me. Been a while since I went through Galston Gorge, I think I know the point you mean near the bridge but IIRC there's only space for 2 or 3 cars to park. Where do you park if they're already taken?

Noon start is fine with me, I'm an early riser.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We can play it by ear once we get there then hey. Yeah there a few parks on the other side of the bridges and then some more on the side of the road between the bridges. If we get there and can’t find something then we have the option of driving on to Crosslands (10min) and going from there.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
OK. Midday at the bridge then. I'll PM you my number in a minute though I think you might already have it. Look for my white SWB Pajero. Oh and bring that fatwood :)

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Apsilon and I got out for a few hours

After meeting at the Galson Gorge bridges we headed south on The Great North walk which sees a nice little section up the rocks to get the blood pumping. Once at the top it's a easy firetrail along to the Tunks Ridge Campsite. We continued up the Tunks Ridge fire trail and took the single track to the right to see what was down there. This track will need furthers discovery as it seems to drop off into a smaller valley and could have some nice spots.

Anyway, we headed back to Tunks Ridge Campsite.

I had the new pack loaded up to see how if was with some weight in it over a few K's and I was really good. I'll leave the straps as they are for now as they seem to be finding a comfortable place.

image.jpg

Time to get the fire going and a cuppa on the go, didn't take long for Matt to find a fav channel on the bush tele.

image.jpg

A quick tripod and the sp600 took care of business

image.jpg

pap11y had kindly flicked me a mora to checkout as I had never played with one before. Gee I can see the attraction with the price they are. Very comfortable, very secure sheath and a nice thick blade... Thanks Pap!

image.jpg

Then it was time to have a play with some set-ups.

Matt had his MSR Ewing? I think it was.. Nice little tarp and made for a great ground set-up. Check out the very cool colour he died it! They come in a very bright yellow, but the result now is perfect.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had an old heavy weight poncho that I'd always wanted to string up as a lean-to...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then Matt pulled out a very cool 10x10 bcusa tarp.. Perfectly placed tie out points for a tipi style rig. It has another two tie out on the sides which aren't used in the shots I got, but easy two people plus gear in there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So with the shadows getting longer and the fire doused it was time to he'd home.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good to meet you Matt, I'll look forward to getting out together soon.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very interesting to see the different set ups. A Couple of questions, is the BCusa tarp a rectangular cut? What was used to dye the MSR?

Thanks for posting.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Huge thanks to Lepmeister for organising the day. It was just the prompt I needed to start getting back out. Was great to finally meet as well. Good little walk (which I really need to do more of as I was certainly feeling it give the immediate climb from where we parked) and a nice area that neither of us live very far from.

Yes that first tarp is an MSR E-Wing though it's the original and I think the new one is slightly different if it's still available. I know they've introduced a few different models now. It's a bit small but intended for an emergency shelter and it'd fill that roll nicely. It compresses down to about the size of a large orange and you can get away with just one tie out though a second gives more space. Thrud, it was dyed with just RIT dye though I can't recall the colour as it was a few years ago that I did it. Was either brown or tan and 2 packets IIRC as the silnylon didn't want to take the dye as you'd expect. The end result is actually pretty nice. Sort of a golden coyote tan.

The BCUSA tarp is just a square but with a lot of tie and pull outs. 3 along each side plus corners and 3 down the ridgeline I think. I'd been meaning to try setting these up as ground shelters for some time but never got around to it previously so they were both firsts. Thanks to Simon for suggesting the set up with the BCUSA as well. It came out really well IMO and would make a nice shelter with room for two and gear. I could sit up in it easily. Laying down I could just reach the back of the tarp if I stretched (I'm just touching the tarp with my toes on my right foot in the pic below) even when I was well inside away from any possible drip area.

Lepmeister's poncho made a great little lean to. The home made pack also looked great and seemed to be bottomless as he kept pulling new things out :)

Great day and I'm really glad I got out as it'd been some time. I'm looking forward to our next outing.

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I like that BCUSA set up. Is it just a hiking pole as the height lift and then peg and line pull outs to create? How small did that one compress down to? Looks a great shelter for space.... DJ

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Pretty much best way to see how it's set up is have a look on Youtube for DD 3x3 tarp setup. This was done a little differently to the one I the vid I've seen but that's largely because of the tie out positions. Yes just a hiking pole but a branch could easily be used. I just wasn't sure if I'd find a branch the right size (as it turns out there was heaps around) as it's national park so not supposed to cut anything etc etc so took a pole. 7 pegs and one guy line though you'd get more space with another 2 pegs and guy lines for side pull outs.

It's about the size of the common Nalgene bottles. Same height, maybe 20mm more in diameter but that's largely because the stuff sack allows it. It'll compress down a bit more and would easily fit in a bottle pocket on a pack etc.