BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darche Hybrid one man tent

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I just received this brilliant little tent yesterday. Tho I am yet to sleep in it, from a cursory look see it will be more then adequate for shelter for one person. I have added it to my sleep/shelter system.Once my hammock turns up I will post the entire kit. I like the Hybrid for the mesh insect screen,a must in Australia IMHO, and is far better then sleeping out in the open. I got my Hybrid for $73(including free post) off Ebay.
here are its stats and a pic
hybrid-tent1.jpg

Hybrid is ideal for trekking, motorcycle touring,general camping, hunting & fishing trips, horse trail riding, sleep-overs, mountain bike riding.
1 Person tent
Ultra lightweight
5000mm PU Poly skin & floor
Unique Design, Light & compact
Ventilator baffles
Single layer
Mesh pockets for valuables
Large rear window
Seam tape
Easily fits into day-pack
Stakes, Poles & Carry bag included
Size: 1 Person
Weight: 1.6kg
Pack Size: 38 x 12cm
Warranty: 2 Years

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Is there enough room for a boots or a pack when sleeping?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Nice and airy.
You could probably store your boots and pack in large garbage bags out side.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, garbage bags are good to deter scavangers... ;)

Like to have clothing inside the mesh (including packs). You get used to the boot smell pretty quick.

Have to watch ultralight tents when ordering, more than a few actually require trekking poles, so quote lighter weights.

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
what about us gravitationally challenged?
i am six foot three with well developed stomach muscles. any chance i would find use for such a tent/bivvy?

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, i have a black wolf stealth bivvy (Crissie present), I'm a bit over 6 1 and it is not suitable. Shoulder touches the top and water get on you under most conditions. Head room is barely adequate. Only way it is useable is to have a separate fly/tarp voer the top and leave the tops open to let the moisture out, but then its not a "stealth" bivvy anymore. This looks a little taller, not sure about length. Would sell bivvy to short slender peron if pushed.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I happy with my hammock but if I going to use tent this wound something to look at.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
You can get hammocks in longer lengths, though they have limited application in a cross nullarbor trip.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Bob, I am 6'2" and weigh 140Kg and it is roomy enough for me to fit in. Internal dimensions are 215cm long, 80cm wide, with 60cm "annex" type side flaps/protrusions.(see above pic) ceiling hight is 100cm at one end, and 80cm at the other. I agree with the option of packing a couple of HD garbage bags and storing boots etc on the out side, in the annex area. I plan on storing my pack inside the tent(if it will fit).Here is a youtube vid showing the Hybrid up and in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQrg19J-tg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL23156EEDABDDA50B

Have to watch ultralight tents when ordering, more than a few actually require trekking poles, so quote lighter weights.
the darche does come with poles, pegs and guy lines, and they are included in the 1.6kg weight. You can cut .6Kg by ditching the poles, using a hikers pole, and replacing the pegs with aluminium or titanium pegs.

I also plan on placing a 8'x10' tarp over the top of my Hybrid.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol...yes it would require some real lateral thinking to use a hammock in the desert.

I've seen one strung between the bull bars on 2 4x4s parked nose to nose !

.... actually even along the Nullarbor there are plenty of trees. It’s the Simpson Desert where you’d have problems.

ozbladefan

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Excellent tent there Wave, looking forward to your pics and review once you get around to setting it up.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I put the Hybrid up today, and I have to say I am impressed, it is just big enough to fit me in(187cm/141kg's). I didn't put any guy lines up, and I reckon this would open up the interior some what. I could sit up inside with out hitting my head, tho there was little room inside for any gear other then sleeping kit.I plan to rig a tarp over the top of the Darche when I deploy it any way, that way I will leave the front flap open, with the insect screen closed and that would cure any claustrophobic that I feel while inside the tent. Over all the Hybrid is a great little tent, weighs only 1.6Kg complete and is compact and looks to be quite durable. I bought the Hybrid off Ebay, cost was $73 including free post.
here is it up, don't worry about the floppiness, the guy lines would stiffen it right up, and secure it properly to the ground.(see the above pic for a taught set up)

2011-10-16_10-07-48_873.jpg

2011-10-16_10-28-14_328.jpg

2011-10-16_10-28-21_219.jpg

2011-10-16_10-28-26_909.jpg

2011-10-16_10-28-44_624.jpg

Last edited:

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I shock corded mine and tied a guy rope two the two main anchor points on the window side so that you are only using two pegs not four not counting the window of course........Nice little tent but very peg dependant.........I also got rid of the cheep steel pegs for some lightweight alloy star pegs with a couple of hooked pegs for the window.........

Last edited: