Dandelion Coffee

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Time for a spring weed in the garden and I quickly has a handful of dandelion roots.
A wash under the tap to remove most of the dirt:
20181001_174845 (Medium).jpg

Scrub with kitched brush to remove the fine roots and remaining dirt. Also removes some of the skin:
20181001_181119 (Medium).jpg

Chopped:
20181001_181843 (Medium).jpg

Toasted until brown and dry:
20181001_182043 (Medium).jpg 20181001_183334 (Medium).jpg

Crashed again, once dry it will crush more easily, then toast a second time.
20181001_183404 (Medium).jpg

No final pic I'm afraid, but enough for several cuppas.

The flavour is definitely quite dandelion, pleasant enough, but I don't think I'd make huge quantities of it.
I think I'm more of an acorn coffee drinker !

https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?9470-Acorn-Coffee-drink&highlight=acorn+coffee

https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?5477-Acorn-Coffee&highlight=acorn+coffee

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Must get my hands on dandelion. I think you can also make tea from the flower. Is that right?
Cheers
Bloffy
Yep, you can make tea form any or all parts of the plants.

The terms "tea" and "coffee" are generic when talking about substitutes, but I like to think of "coffee" as being roasted and "tea" being steeped. Not everyone will agree with that definition.

You can pick the flowers, stems, leaves and roots too and steep these to make a tea. (A benefit of not including roots is that there is less cleaning)
The quantity and length of steeping is up to you, if its too strong you can just dilute it. Some people like a sweetener too.

A loose cup (or pot) full of greens and flowers, steeped for 3 mins or so, strain, would be a good starting point for tea .... but I have read some people soak it overnight (I guess they may dilute it and have it cold, or hot ?)

Personally I prefer the flowers (yellow parts) as a snack. Sometimes add the leaves to a "stew" - they hold up really well in the cooking process, but they are OK raw too as a salad green (esp miked with other leaves).

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Apparently a lot of people mix up dandelion and cape weed. Dandelion is apparently a bit rare around here but I am going to keep my eye out or, at worst, plant some of my own and give it a try.
Cheers
Bloffy