cutting mat backdrops for pics and vids

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Probably old news but I have gotten onto these cutting mats (they come in various sizes and colours) that I am finding very good as backdrops for both videos and now for pics. Can be bought off Ebay or from the $2 shops (I get mine from the local $2 shops), prices seems to be about the same from both sources.

Costing seems reasonable as the bigger one (just bought a 57x42 for $21 which I am using now for my back drop for my videos, and it is working out really well as it fits the whole frame without too much zooming in, allowing me a lot more room to work with fixed blades.

They have grid pattern on them so people can get a sizing reference from them as an added bonus.

I am using the smaller one as a backdrop for pics now, though I will be changing it up between several that I have now.

the smaller cutting mat I have now

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Do you think they'd go OK as a portable packable cutting mat? Pack away for camping meal preparation? Looks like they could be cut to whatever size is needed. I reckon 10cm x 20cm would work.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Looks cool and the grid pattern would be handy to get an idea of size. For backdrops I just use towels, a cane fence, whatever.

Depends on what I photograph and the colouring.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Do you think they'd go OK as a portable packable cutting mat? Pack away for camping meal preparation? Looks like they could be cut to whatever size is needed. I reckon 10cm x 20cm would work.
Can you cut a cutting mat?

Only kidding, sound like a very good idea.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they would be food safe, they are used for sewing and hobbyists usually. I am sure you can get the smaller sizes.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
yes i have them as well, my large one covers a whole work table,
cost me a bomb 20 years ago from an art supplies store ...
still going strong, dang hard to destroy, have several small ones as well.

only way i have cut them is with a good set of tin snips.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I reckon they be food safe, as long as you purchase a brand new and then
ONLY use it for food and every know and then give it a good soak in vinegar.

dont think it would be any different to kitchen cutting boards, mind you, you can get some small light kitchen boards

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I really like my big cutting mat I just bought for my vid backdrop, fits my vid style well and I don't have to zoom out too much allowing me more room to work, especially when working with larger fixed blades, axes , spears and other such unusual bladeware, which I am trying to branch out into to keep my content fresh and my audience engaged.
Also as I said above the grid pattern gives a reference point for people to see sizing. The cutting mats give me a lot of advantages and are definitely worth the investment. One last point, they offer a little cushioning if you do inadvertently drop a knife, so you might not accidently dint or damage the knife, as some of mine are now reasonably expensive knives and I want to try not to scuff them up if I can avoid it.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yes, it's the first thing I look at in knife reviews - I count the squares to get the blade length. I prefer smaller knives, so if the blade is too long I stop watching the review. No offence to the reviewers, just not my area of interest.