Reptile Cryptophis nigrescens (Eastern Small Eyed Snake)

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Warning Dangerous

Scientific Name. Cryptophis nigrescens

Common Names. Eastern Small Eyed Snake

Order: Squamata

Suborder: Serpentes

Family: Elapidae

Distribution: Victoria to Cape York, mostly coastal but extending inland in southern Queensland and NSW. Related species (carpentaria snake) exist in other areas.

Habitat: Prefers moist forested areas.

Field Notes: Length up to 70 cm, 50 cm typical. Nocturnal, frequently found under debris during the day. Pink underbelly. 15 rows of mid-body scales. 30-45 single subcaudal scales. Anal scale is single or undivided. 165-21- ventral scales. May not retreat at night under torchlight. One fatality has been recorded for this species, as well as numerous serious envenomations. Lizard and small snake diet. Slow moving and relatively non-aggressive.

Dangerously toxic. Myotoxic venom (muscle toxin, can cause kidney failure). Some reports are that the bite is not painful, unlike most other Australian snakes.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
This is a good reason for wearing good shoes and using a good torch when moving around outside at night time.
Ive only encountered this species in my backyard and at night time .They just dont move out of the way.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Found this one prowling around an outside light with plenty of insects and frogs about.
The snake seemed not to notice me taking flash photos and shining a bright led torch on it.
Maybe it was about to moult? Took this shot just after I touched it with a long piece of PVC tube.
IMG_1939.jpg