Crooked knife

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Had a few of these blades sitting around for a while, bought them as new old stock, finally got around to putting a handle on one. The blade is marked E M Dickinson Sheffield, handle is from a nashi tree in the garden, whipping is waxed linen. Time to to start sharpening...

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It's a strange blade askew. Do you know what it was for? No hole in the tang? Are they seconds? You could extend the tang into the blade; that would be stronger. The height of the blade would handle a small hole OK. Then maybe a tiny hole in the rat tail. Some bolts, hard wood or plastic handle scales and epoxy should be pretty strong. Or nylon, like those cheap chopping boards for kitchens.

Last edited:

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
It's a woodworking knife, basically a one handed drawknife. You hold it with the edge facing towards you, thumb fits into the curve in the handle. This construction is traditional, the tang is fitted into a groove in the handle, with a bend in the end of the tang going in deeper. How sturdy is it? I'll keep you posted.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Had a few of these blades sitting around for a while, bought them as new old stock, finally got around to putting a handle on one. The blade is marked E M Dickinson Sheffield, handle is from a nashi tree in the garden, whipping is waxed linen. Time to to start sharpening...
Well done Askew, looking good.
Keith.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I tried to find a blade like this to try out for so long I gave up. That handle looks really good, hope to see some carved projects soon!
ray Mears has them, but not cheap!

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have one of the Ray Mears ones which I bought when the Aussie dollar was significantly higher.
I have not used it yet as I have not made a blade cover for it yet, might need to be the next project.