BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creative Man competition / give-away : Tomahawk Competition

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Competition: Camp Fire Photo

There is something primitively soothing about sitting in front a fire, surrounded by dark night.
Being at ease with your surroundings and contemplating life with a mug of something hot, letting the flames fascinate you.

Post a photo you haven taken where a camp fire is part of the photo.

Show an image and a short story about what the photo reminds you of, for instance
  • the trip
  • the place
  • the time
  • the company
  • the experience

Prize: Light tomahawk or throwing axe kit from CreativeMan.com.au

Kit consists of
  • Forged Tomahawk Axe head with carbon steel edge
  • Hickory handle, ready for sanding and oiling

Axe head is forged, consisting of a hard carbon steel bit (5130 steel) in a head of non-hardened steel.

Axe head is about 15 cm long, the cutting edge is about 10 cm and the head is about 5 cm wide.

Handle is about 48 cm long and ideal for throwing, being straight-grained hickory and not too heavy.

The handle is teardrop shaped and tapers from about 4 cm at the head end to 2,5 cm at the handle end.

IMG_6567_zpsa4kt0olb.jpgYxkastning-1.gifforged_cstm_tomahawk_h1nw.jpg

T&Cs:
  • Must be a member with 50+ posts to be eligible
  • Must be 18+ years old to win
  • You must have been present when the picture was taken
  • Image must have a fire of some sort in it
  • Image must not be posted several times in this same thread
  • Winner must be located in Australia, as prize will be shipped domestically only

Winner:
To keep things fair, a random number generator will be used to identify a post number.
If there is a picture of a camp fire in that post that has not been double posted, that person is the winner.
If the post has no camp photo picture, another post will be identified using the random number generator.

Time:
Competition will run until noon, Friday 22nd of January 2016.
Winner will be announced in this thread, and then PM'd for address.

Hoping to see some great trip photos and hear what that image reminds you of!

thanks
Bjorn J

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I will start it off with an example post:

This is a picture from a hammock trip to Berowra valley.
Hanging by the river, having a small fire and sitting in a wad of brackens, enjoying a coffee made on the fire.
Wife and kids overseas, first time I had a chance to really try my Warbonnet Blackbird hammock.

hammock2_resize.jpg

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I just love having a fire, it does alot for the inner person.

Sharing these just becouse there is a place to and each of the photos I will share have a different reason for my appreciation.

The fire place below is one that my wife and I sit at many times throughout the year, usually with a glass of red in hand and a pizza in the oven or dial-in Chinese on the way. The "Wok" fire pit is 10mm think and makes for a really nice warm fire. The simple contrast of being so close to all the creature comforts of home whilst being able to experiance the magic of a outdoor fire through a endless stare.

image.jpg

Next up is the campsite fire place I have up the back of our little slice of suburban Sydney. Fire in many articles and posts for that matter, speak of fire as being the place of meeting and the bringing together of generations. My Dad who I'm close to and see regularly spent many years when I was a little kid in the RFS, so fire was always a part of our lives, yet we have not spent much time together just sitting around a campfire. Christmas Day just gone, I got the grill and Dad couldn't wait to give it go! So this fire represents the coming together of my Dad and I around a camp fire for the first time in decades and playing with a new toy.

image.jpg

Last one for this batch is from my first multi night trip of recent years, it's one of those shots that has many aspects to it. The two pots represent the company I was with, the hammock is the comfort that is available to those who know, and the place is one that I have enjoyed with my close mates many times and also meet follow forum members at a few years back.

image.jpg

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Myself on a overnight last year not far from Woy Woy NSW. The Billy is a vintage one I picked up from a junk store.They don't make like that anymore as my grandmother use to say.Hard to beat a good fire and a bit of a brew in the bush....
4b944561c150aa26648cab397c843b35.jpg

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The first picture is of Jumbuck Hill, Doc, Uneekwahn and myself went out in the worst weather, torrential rain, lightning and wind that bent Doc's tent pegs. Were it not for the fire, which kept our spirits up, we would have bailed!
Giant Spider 003.jpg

The second image is Bloffy setting up the fire when I headed down to Albany; even though it was a small fire we sat around staring at it drinking IPA and talking complete rubbish for hours...brilliant stuff.Giant Spider 004.jpg

The third is Doc, Thrud Junior and Uneekwahn in the Avon Valley; a very cold night very warm fire and company and I liked the light fom the fire and the LuminaidGiant Spider 006.jpg

The fourth is Thrud junior at the same meet, starting the fire and warming up after his first (cold) night in a hammock. Giant Spider 005.jpg

And the last.....blatant advertising!

Giant Spider 003 (1).jpg

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Didnt know you had that pic. Noice.
Does that count as a pic from me. Lol.
I don't think I actually have a fire pic. Hmmmmm
Cheers
Bloffy

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hera are some of my favourites:

This is Taplow Junior and the son of a close friend in a camping cave in the Budawangs. We returned to the area 20 years after our first trip there so this was a nostalgic occasion.
IMG_2403.jpg

This is a billy full of apple custard during a solo trip in the Wild Dog ranges. I was camping at the Cox's River and managed to get a fire going after a rain shower when I had to cook my main dinner under my hammock fly, so the proper fire really cheered me up.
IMG_3195.jpg

Salmon cooking over the fire on a clifftop above the Shoalhaven River. Really easy to do but a gourmet touch to improve the usual dehydrated menu.
fish.jpg

My backyard fireplace where I chill out as often as possible. The chiminea has blown over in the wind several times (not when lit!) and has lost its back leg, so it sits partly on bricks now.
home.jpg

Roast with veggies cooked to perfection in a camp oven my neighbour and I bought together, to use in the firepit behind our houses. We also cooked a delicious curry since then, but they moved recently and I need to introduce my new neighbours to this.
oven.jpg

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Swag camping on the Murray River with a great mate. River was still, Gourmet Snags were sizzling away on the fry pan.

Campfire 1.jpg

Another swag camping adventure on the old bush block, the coffee's on the boil and once again the trusty gourmet snags sizzling away on the fry pan.

Blanchetown Camp fire.jpg

Third and final, is me mates kidlet enjoying the warmth of the campfire. I still don't know why I go camping with him, as you can see he's a FORD man, and the kidlet's got a little matching one. Need to reconsider my company.

P1010719.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Here goes:

This was a great trip with a group of friends. We camped by Lake Cobbler in the high country.
On the second day we had a big cook up; Mrs A made a Moroccan inspired slow cooked targine .... very yummy and enough for a big crowd too

It reminds me that its always lots of fun to go with a group and communal cooking can inspire one to greater heights ...

Browning the meat:
P1300737 (Small).jpg P1300738 (Small).jpg

Spuds go in:
P1300741 (Small).jpg

Slow cooking in progress:
P1300745 (Small).jpg

The bread was a bit crisp on top, but beautiful inside:
P1300748 (Small).jpg

Cooking up the topping
P1300749 (Small).jpg

Delicious:
P1300751 (Small).jpg

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Can't see much flame in my picture. This is a picture of me and my daughter with a couple of her friends during a introductory backyard camping. We made damper in this picture and afterwards roasted some marshmallows before setting up our beds for the night.
d4c0716a30567f0ff4bc581f23f7d586.jpg

Even the dog is looking longingly at the damper!

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Generous offer and a good way to stir up some activity on the forum:_applauso: I'm in.

Often those unplanned 'spur of the moment' get togethers turn out the best. "Having a few out the back at 'The Shack' for Dave's 40th - bring ya swag"
Open mesh grill fashioned from a 44 for the snags chops and steaks, a couple of Camp ovens for the lamb shanks, a few cold ones and lots of lies told about the birthday boy.
Then curled up in the swag in light misty rain....
Daves 40th.jpg

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not..

This is an old pic but one of my favourites..

A mate and I took my inflatable kayak to a beach and camped there for 2 days and 3 nights. It was great weather.

Lots to see around the place i.e. crabs, birds and goannas. Unfortunately fishing was not so great.

It was an awesome time and the pic is of me on the first night working on a spoon. Firepit had been setup and billy stand carved and on the boil..

Reminds me how much I need to get out there soon...

img0058gr.jpg

Last edited:

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I might not be able to do this at noon today, my apologies. Will be 2.30 PM the latest.
Winner will be announced here, and then PM'd for address.

Winning post will be drawn using https://www.random.org/

Stay tuned for the winner!

thanks for all the great photos, awesome to see the glimpses into what looks like nice moments.

Bjorn

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
And the winner is......

Post #5: Howling DingoPost5.jpg

PM on the way, asking for address.

Thank you all for sharing.

For the record:
Winner was drawn now just after noon with random number generator Random.org.
I entered starting number as 4 as the first 3 posts were not relevant to the competition.
And ending number as 13 as posts 14 and 15 are not relevant to the competition.
Winner.jpg

Bjorn

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great comp - thanks Bjorn.

Well done everyone and congrats HD!