cooking up a batch of char cloth today

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
running low on this wonderful resource so I have decided to do another cook, as well as doing a bit of an experiment, trying some denim rolls next batch.

That zip lock bag will be chock a block full by this afternoon after my cook, as well as another bag (or maybe a tin) full of denim rolls.

The batch you see burning now is actually on its second time through, I have already cooked it once, and went through it and pulled out all the perfectly done char cloth (all the black stuff) and am putting any that has any brown left on it (indicative that it wasn't cooked properly.

I have don't tutorials on how to do this, so won't rehash old news. I will post end results later this afternoon of all finished product.

still smoking so not done yet

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
almost finished the cook, still got some to do tomorrow.

Quite a good haul, almost perfect char cloth, some is slightly brown but almost all of it is a uniform black (indicative of a good cook, and char cloth that will take a shark well)

I like the way the rolls turned out. I am going to try one of them out tomorrow as well, to see how they take a spark.

and the bag emptied out to show how much I got

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just did a test of a piece of the char cloth, half a second with both my magnifying glass and fresnel lens and it was away.

Didn't bother to test with the ferro rod or flint and steel, confident they would put a spark on it easily.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
to be honest I have so much char cloth now I don't what to do with it all, and still have a heap of old jeans to process into char still.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
a video of my cook and a discussion on char cloth and magnifying glasses and fresnel lenses

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
latest results of todays cook, a heap of char rolls and fills my cook tin, not doing any more just now as I don't want to piss the neighbours off too much with the smoke. Just securing each one with with jute cord now.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
finished up the last batch of my cook last night, did a bit of an experiment and used the thick seam of the jeans and cooked a heap of them along with the usual denim squares. The idea behind this is to try to use all of the jeans and cook as much char cloth as possible from each pair.

Tried the denim seams today and while they won't'' take a spark in the middle they certainly will take on ar the end easily, only took a couple of strikes and I got an ember.

I won't have to do another char cloth cook for a while as I now have a heap on hand.