Condor bearing block

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
61mRFhu6rbL._SL1000_.jpg

Condor Bearing block: very well made. I know the purists amongst you will frown, but it works very very well!

Arrived today From Survival Supplies Australia.

Very rapid delivery and some freebies as well.

Dennis has moved on and Al has taken over the reins and now based in WA! Good to see the continued good service.

No affiliation other than a repeat happy customer.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That’s a damn nice piece of kit, I always worry about my bearing block failing and the spindle ending up in my hand. Certainly wouldn’t happen with that bearing block.
I am currently using the ESEE striker but it can get very hot in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
In some of the videos of the bearing block people use foliage as a lubricant just like Le Loup in his video. I didn’t use anything other than a bit of oil from the side of my nose on the drill.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
In some of the videos of the bearing block people use foliage as a lubricant just like Le Loup in his video. I didn’t use anything other than a bit of oil from the side of my nose on the drill.
Sounds like a Bob Cooper tip!

I recall having to hand back the bearing block on Bob's course. I thought at the time that they may be hard to find. Hmmm.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It is a Bob Tip.

This is the ember I got using the magnolia and the grass tree. Runs super smooth and had this within a minute , which is the fastest yet.
IMG_7827.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It is purpose built and well made by the looks. It makes me think that there must be something in my minimalist kit where I can incorporate a bearing. I don't carry a spoon, but I imagine a spoon would work too (not a plastic one :) ) But maybe that's heading back into injury territory :) Yes, I don't think a spoon would work. I had visions of wannabe survivalists invading outpatients each with a stick through their hand

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I had thought about making one similar to waveman's which had a skateboard or similar bearing it it. It would be relatively simple to knock up one similar to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Friction-Bow-Drill-Socket-Ball-Bearing-Block-W-Ferro-Rod-For-Fire-making-/222997684482. Using an old bit of wood, skateboard bearing and some epoxy...

I watched a vid of someone using a limpet shell, but that heated up pretty fast. Probably ok if you have some leather gloves, or even some silicone sheeting which could double as a pot grasper.

I'm certainly going to use magnolia as the fire board from now on, I might try a magnolia spindle too.

Last edited: