DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Really useful elof, had no idea there were so many alternatives. DJ

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Really useful elof, had no idea there were so many alternatives. DJ
That's less than 5% of what's out there!

Aside from SM100 I have some of each steel mentioned in the article... and then some that are not!

I just wish that people making knives, especially in AU, read things like this and stopped using steels that should not be used for knives in 2015!
Trust me, there are steels that were obsolete before 2000, but get used locally a lot because they're cheap...:piange:

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
People can get pretty passionate about this topic! I'm a firm believer that it's each to their own on this one.

I have been using many different knives over the years and I still prefer the out of date steels and it's not for nostalgic reasons. They just perform the way I want them too.

It's a good thing their are so many steels to choose from as everyone gets to pick and play.

It depends a lot on how you use your tools and that is going to be different for everyone.

I suspect one of the reasons the older steel are still commonly used in custom shops is they are relatively less complicated to heat treat in house. I would not dismiss them just because of that.

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Ben,
Looking at numbers, I have more carbon steel knives than stainless, I have only a few with the so called 'super steels' (though that's a funny term, and it doesn't last long for any particular steel as newer and better ones are developed constantly).

My comment was aimed at use of steels that aren't particularly old (stainless steel has been around for just under 100 years), but are not that good for knives, and oddly enough often are paired with very good/modern materials.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I like the term 'super steels'...it sounds kinda mystical! I can't say I have heard of it before but I will be using that phrase somewhere I'm sure!

True stainless steel, I can't say I have had that much luck with it in knives. But everyone wants something different.

I think the reason I like simple carbon steel for knives is I'm just use to them. Different steels like different edges and I find carbon steel knives pretty universal. You can leave the wire on them for soft cutting, finish off on 400-600grit for a micro serrated edge or polish the edge for a razor cut.

I'm sure others out their will have a different opinion....but their are a lot of knives and steels out there and I can only comment on the gear I have used and sharpened.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice site..Bookmarked thanks for the heads up.