J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Scientific name: Turdus merula

Common Name: Common Blackbird

Order: Passeriformes

Family: Muscicapidae

Other Names: N/A

Distribution: Throughout SE Australia including Tasmania.

Habitat: Urban habitats and sometimes bushland.

Field Notes: Male is black with an orange / yellow bill, yellow eye-ring and dark legs. Female is brown, with some streaking / mottling, dark bill and legs. Immature birds are very similar to the female.

Launceston, Tasmania - 2008 - by J.K.M
View attachment 7555

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Introduced species, declared in some areas.

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Excellent point; they are very common down here in Tasmania.

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Blackbirds nest in trees, bushes, ledges and holes in walls and buildings. Generally the nest will be constructed at least a few feet off the ground though they can also be found on the ground. Nests are constructed with interwoven grass and twigs cemented with mud on the inside to form a smooth cup. The cup is then covered with a thin lining of dry grass.

Eggs are laid in two or three clutches with 4-6 in each. Eggs are normally pale greenish-blue in colour with reddish-brown speckles.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I see most of the images are "invalid" ?

Any way...we have a pair of Blackbirds nesting in our yard, the hen is very shy the male was but now VERY used to me.

Photo of three chicks in grass cup nest, nest is all woven grass no mud used in the construction of this one.
Nest location about 6ft from ground and situated in a variegated ivy. This nest is also 10ft from my cloths line.

1425771_763675296981032_1390199901_n.jpg

1422536_763673526981209_1428541232_n.jpg

29/11/2013

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I havent seen any Blackbirds here Mozz, Heaps in New Zealand where I grew up. maybe the Indian minahs are keeping them away...might have to do something about that.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the scientific name...Turdus.... very descriptive!
yep its a good name, after reading about these birds, they can be very destructive, I only have two but they scratch the pine park in my gardens from here to timbucktoo in search of tucker.
because the male is so frequent in my garden, i have named him "chook" as he scratches like one.

I havent seen any Blackbirds here Mozz, Heaps in New Zealand where I grew up. maybe the Indian minahs are keeping them away...might have to do something about that.
yea Ben, first time I have seen them here in the Illawarra, there are mostly a southern state bird, ive been wondering if all the bush fires, smoke, lack of water etc has driven these birds afar?

and it was in Auckland Domain that I saw one and new instantly that this was the same bird that had arrived in our yard.

indian mynas (ive grown up calling them Yellow Gumboots lol) are a pest, mind you the Blackbird gives them a run :p