BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Columbia SA71 Preview ( then a review )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
_IGP1789.JPG
_IGP1794.JPG
_IGP1795.JPG
_IGP1797.JPG

Columbia SA71 = $40 knife

A) Sheath is rubbish
B) Factory bevel was rubbish

Lets start with the factory edge/bevel . It was complete rubbish !
Both sides of the edge were at different angles . On one side with my guided knife sharpener set to 22 degrees . The sharpening stone was cutting the very edge . On the other side the stone was cutting the very shoulder of the bevel were it transitions to the main blade . We are talking whack ! I put my 60 grit wheel onto the wet stone grinder as I was looking at removing some 5 to 10 years worth of steel to correct what was a ridiculously bad factory grind ( bevel ) .
It was a lot of work and I had no intention of doing a 60 grit edge on this knife , but circumstances being what they are ! So after a lot of work , the SA71 wears a freshly ground edge / bevel ground with the 60 grit wheel . Looking at the pictures , there is still some tell tale black marker .

Tang ... It looks like the tang is about 35% of the blade ( can be clearly seen in the pictures ) ... I would not call this one a bushcrafty knife or a survival knife , but I might be tempted to throw around words like hunting knife . I dont know what the handle material is or how strong it might be , so I would not suggest this knife was a beater ! But for relatively sane low stress work it should be fine .

Yeah , it wears a 60 grit edge now ! I didn'y want that ... So rather than sharpening the knife - again ! I guess I will just have to slice rope as is , which will kind of FUBAR the point of buying and testing this knife . I may as well start at 60 and work my way up ( I suppose ) .

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Aaaargh ! Some days !

Ok , back to the rope !
250 slice fail with a rolled edge ..
WTPL ( What the Parking Lot )

????????
I decided to get the guided knife sharpener out .
And put down a 22 degree bevel .. ( secondary bevel )
The edge chipping !!!!!! = ????? Hu !!!

Ok , so looks like the wet stone grinder lay down a all mighty BUR !
One that would s not strop away .

So out with my new Guided Knife Sharpener ..
And I lay down a 600 Grit Diamond cut 22 degree bevel .
Which was then cleaned up with a 1500 grit Oxide Stone .
May be Bur rest in peace ! ( I hope )

Looks like I have to do this again ! ( Cut rope )