BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Cold Steel - Friday !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Two Cold Steel knives arrived today !

1) Cold Steel Bushman
2) Cold Steel Finn Wolf

Lets get straight to processing fatwood .

Cold Steel Bushman - The first thing that hits you is the MASSIVE , ( I mean massive ) hand fatigue . It actually hurt like a SOB slapping my hand with a hammer to process fatwood with the Bushman . After processing two pieces of Bunnings Fatwood I gave up on the Bushman , ..... my hand still aches !

Cold Steel Finn Wolf - This knife is the complete opposite of the Bushman , where the Bushman hurt you . The Finn Wold was just plain comfortable and easy to use . The Scandi edge just sliced wood , piece after piece . After half a dozen pieces were processed I decided to stop as I had the information I needed . I came inside and cleaned the blade with WD40 to get rid of the resin on the blade , then sliced some paper . The Finn Wold sliced paper with no issues what so ever . No rolled edge , nothing . I dare say it was like I had never used it at all .

I will post a review on the Bushman shortly : Finn Wolf , when I have time !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Ok ...
Sheath is plastic (?)
Has a small ferro rod included as part of the package .. ( That's nice )
Cold Steel Bushman can't do anything with the ferro as all non edge surfaces are rounded !!!!
So ? What's with that ?
Slicing rope , the edge rolled at the 50 slice mark ..... Yeah , 50 slices !
Processing fatwood - The knife HURT ! As it put the hurt on my hand !
Processing two pieces of Bunnings fatwood was enough ! My hand was in PAIN !

Oh dear !

I put the the Bushman to the wet stone grinder and the 60 grit wheel .
I was aiming for about a 20 degree bevel , there about's ! And I got a 20 degree bevel .
Hmmmm , the grinder seem to feel that the Bushman is a bit soft !
I will slice rope again and see what happens with the 60 grit 20 degree edge .
As this first rope slice was with the factory edge 0h !!! Which bye the way was on the terrible side of things .. As in FUBAR !
Till next time ... ( Next time the bushman hits the rope )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Back . for take two !
2nd bite of the rope ..
2nd chance to impress ..
2nd chance not to suck ..

Oh dear ! So a 100 slice fail ..
That's kind of bottom of the barrel performance ! ( In my book )
Did I mention that this knife felt soft on the grinder ? I think I did .

As far as a knife goes , the Cold Steel Bushman Bites the Big One !
As a spear point and the Legality of Such in what ever state of Oz ?????????????????

I have mentioned in the past that a soft knife ( blade steel ) might make for a decent survival tool , as softer steel will be easier to maintain without modern sharpening implements . And the Bushman does strop back relatively easily . So I guess that's a big plus ?
As a knife , in hindsight ! I would give this one a big miss . Don't know I would call it a waste of money ? Very tempted too do that . But I can see a purpose in the madness of the bushman . Even though personally I would call it a terrible knife !