Cold Steel 1849 Rifleman's Knife

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
This is my review of the Cold Steel 1849 Rifleman's Knife, which will be different from all the other reviews I have done as I have not used this knife to cut much of anything other than some paper to test keenness. I did not buy this knife as a 'user' per say but rather incase I needed to use it, that is to say if I ever find myself in need of a large fighting knife, as that is exactly what this knife was designed for.

what the company says
We have long admired the timeless good looks and pure functional design of the American Rifleman’s Knife. This rare blade was originally issued in extremely limited numbers, and has the distinction of being the first knife officially designed for, and purchased by, the U.S. Army back in 1849. Our blade takes inspiration from an antique in the private collection of our company President Lynn C Thompson, and while our blade is not an exact replica, it features many of the design nuances that make this knife such a classic! It’s big, stout spear point blade is stiff enough to oppose even much larger weapons, making it an ideal complimentary knife to carry and use alongside a saber or cutlass. Plus, its beefy 12” blade and solid guard make a more than capable stand-alone blade in its own right! It’s easy to see why it was chosen as a back-up blade for our nation’s riflemen. The Cold Steel 1849 Rifleman’s Knife is hand forged from 1085 High Carbon steel, with a solid brass guard and beautiful Rosewood handle scales that encapsulate the sturdy full tang. The Rifleman’s Knife is sold complete with a high quality hand-stitched leather sheath and belt frog, with polished brass throat and chape. Perfect for re-enactors and collectors alike. Add one to your collection today!

Stats
PART # 88GRB
WEIGHT 24.2 oz.
THICKNESS 6mm
BLADE LENGTH 12”
HANDLE 5 1/2" Rosewood
STEEL / MATERIAL 1085 High Carbon
OVERALL 17 1/2"
ADDITIONAL FEATURE Leather Scabbard with Brass Fittings
Pricing seems to be around $250 posted on Ebay as of 09/01/19, but when I bought mine in 2017 I got it for $100 less (on special as I remember)

The 1849 Rifleman's Knife came shipped in a nondescript black box, with the knife and sheath packed separately and the blade covered in oil and a plastic sleeve.

I won't give another description of the knife (as it is already done above) other than the fact that the swedge is false and not sharpened, and the sheath is a friction fit with no other retention system included. The big Rosewood handle fits my hand very well, and as with all big knives I own I have made sure I have added a thumb loop lanyard. I have noticed that the high carbon blade easily patina's if you don't keep the polished blade oiled, and I have had to use a Super Erasure to remove blemishes to the polished finish on several occasions.
The knife came from the factory only barely sharp and I have had to worked on the edge a bit to get it to what I would consider reasonably sharp. The saber grind only starts at the middle of the blade and it is very thick behind the edge and appears to have a 25DPS edge on it so it is never going to be an efficient slicer. But as with the likes of the CS Recon Tanto this knife was designed as a fighting knife and I understand why CS ground the blade as they have.

Conclusion
This knife is a great knife for what it is, and I assume it is very well suited to what it was design for. I bought this knife for its cool factor and because I like big knives like this. As I said I didn't buy the Rifleman's Knife as a user, but rather as a showpiece, talking point and because I thought it looked awesome. Even if I never use it I am happy with its purchase and it gives me pleasure every time I pull it from its sheath and hold it.

- Hands on/Ergos 4.5 stars (excellent, handles well and is well balanced, could have been sharper from the factory)
- Materials/Features 4 stars
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 4 stars
- Aesthetics 5 stars (classy and well finished)
-Sheath Quality/accessories 4 stars
overall rating 4.4

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Looks fearsome and very much a military type blade as the writeup indicates. Sort of thing that could be wipped out in a hurry for a soldier in close quater combat.

Handsome piece for sure, the carbon steel blade will need regular care which was thing in days past.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have to say also that Cold Steel did a good job reproducing this knife as I have seen pics of originals and the CS version is very close in design.

At some stage I will get it professionally sharpened as I don't really have the means to sharpen it to its full potential with the sharpening equipment I possess.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Don't get it mixed up with your edc blade and walk into the shops . Bugger , I thought I was carrying my swiss army tinker .

Nice knife .