Coconut oil

Kiwisailor

Russell Coight
Reaction score
After trawling through some older threads, it seems coconut oil is quite popular.
It is a great product, HOWEVER, it does contain salts.
I've found out the hard way that it will cause steel to rust.
After using my coconut scraper in Fiji, I thought it would be a good idea to coat it in Coco oil before wrapping in grease proof paper and storing it.
Upon unwrapping, it was severely rusted to the point it was basically a write off.
Ignorance is not bliss... Bugger.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I like to use coconut oil, esp on handles, plartly because it doesn't "yellow" like linseed oil.
Naturally I wipe it onto the metal parts while I'm at it ....

I looked online for the nutritional content of the oil, and there does not seem to be any salt (Na or K) in the natural oil itself.
(ALthough consumer packaged product may have some added).

There are several grades of oil with various degrees of refinement, I wonder if some lower grades have imputities which could increase corrosion ?

Of interest I did find this short review of mild steel corrosion over 25 days (which is a short time) which seems to show coconut oil is more corrosive than some other oils.

It would have been much more interesting if the study had lasted more than 25 days ...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A friend made a coconut scraper for me out of stainless steel bar .... no corrosion. :)
I suspect the salt content of coconuts varies depending on how close the trees are to the beach as
I could definitely taste the difference.

Kiwisailor

Russell Coight
Reaction score
A friend made a coconut scraper for me out of stainless steel bar .... no corrosion. :)
I suspect the salt content of coconuts varies depending on how close the trees are to the beach as
I could definitely taste the difference.
The coconuts we eat up in the Pacific Is. Are either bought from the market or scavenged off the beach, so the eating nuts (which are scraped) are definitely close to the salt water and sometimes pulled out of it. Can't beat the price...
And yes, I too have used it to out on wooden handles and use a mixture of course Coco oil with beeswax to rub into wooden carvings I've managed to purchase over the years, the Salomon Is ones are stunning.