BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CJRB ria

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This is a popular and well liked knife in the knife community. It's small, light weight, cheap, well made and reasonable materials. There are many videos of these on youtube. I like it. I would like to point out something that other reviewers seem to have missed though - the thumb stud. It is close to the blade pivot point - essentially this means it is geared pretty high if you consider lever length. That's OK, so long as you know - this blade flies out like an auto; there's no slow rolling it open. Because of this, it probably isn't the best choice for someone who is new to thumb deployment. All my other thumb stud knives I can easily slow roll open. After a bit of playing I'm getting better at opening this one - so a bit of practice and it's all good, especially if it is a regular user. My particular knife has a strong detent which takes a bit more technique on my part. I won't weaken the detent; I'd rather work around the knife and don't want to cause metal fatigue or overdo the weakening which could make it unsafe. Also take note: the g10 variants use 12C27 blade steel whereas the micarta versions use AR-RPM9 steel which is supposedly better (a powdered steel). I wasn't aware of this and thought they were all AR-RPM9 - those micarta / AR-RPM9 knives do cost more though.

Actually I just found a video where the dude found what I found, although he does dramatise a bit. He also explains it as "angle", which is kind of true but it is because of where the thumb stud is locatied - close to the pivot. It is as though it has been designed to be a fast opener. Also, he whinges about the cut out for the thumb stud - this is fine, not a problem at all; he has misdiagnosed that too. Detent and location of thumb stud are the issues here - this could be good or bad, depending on what you value. I think the hard detent is good (safe) I have adapted to that, just as he has. After sufficient practice (10mins?) I don't have a sore thumb.

cjrb ria.jpg

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Dont compare it to D2
Unless your comparing it to NQR D2 ( my 2c )
12c27n Is a step up from CrMov / AUS8 / 420 / 440 / most of the time ... ( Those nasty Variables )
But if poorly made , it can be terrible .

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Dont compare it to D2
Unless your comparing it to NQR D2 ( my 2c )
12c27n Is a step up from CrMov / AUS8 / 420 / 440 / most of the time ... ( Those nasty Variables )
But if poorly made , it can be terrible .
Do you mean AR-RPM9? That is often compared to D2. I don't think anyone compares 12C27N to D2 - they are quite different. I would have preferred AR-RPM9 to 12C27N. Although I also prefer G10 over micarta - I can't have both with this knife it seems.

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
( Do you mean AR-RPM9? That is often compared to D2. )

Is it ? I have no exp with that steel ..... ( I was talking 12c27n - which is often disappointing rather than impressive ) I have a fair amount of 12c27n .