Civivi durus and chop sticks

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We're on an mtb holiday. Gail didn't pack any cutlery. We were under some sort of little gum tree, so I hunted around for suitable chop stick contenders. Found some good ones, but with lots of knots. I tried a couple of as yet little used knife skills with my civivi durus - a nice little hollow ground knife with a finger choil which is great for this type of thing. I only made small movements, mostly pushing the rear of the blade with my other thumb - very safe. I also used the chest technique too, but it really wasn't needed. Even though the wood was dry it was easy to work. I cut the sticks to length by working around them pushing the blade in at an angle. About 5 mins spent on each set :) It was a good exercise; much easier than carving a spoon or a fork :ROFLMAO:.

Note: in the picture, the two sticks in the middle are one set, the outer sticks are another set. We're keeping them as souvenirs for the trip.

And the durus

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
As long as you didn’t use oleander!
Too soft :) If we ever made a fire, we could harden them up a bit. Can't beat bamboo chopsticks. I could make a set of oleander chopsticks for our political leader :)