Char Cloth

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Didn't have a lot to do yesterday evening , so I watched Wave Man's instructional vid on char cloth and set to make some myself. I used patches from an old pair of jeans and baked them over a low heat for about 15 minutes. Some patches were still a bit brown , but I just separated them and baked for another 5 or so minutes . It's raining today so I can't use the sun , but the cloth takes a spark from a ferro rod easily . Thanks for the tips Wave Man .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
good haul mate, yep those brown bits are under cooked and should be put back in for a bit longer, you basically leave it until there is no smoke coming from it at all, even if there are some little wisps that is indicative of the process still going.

Those brown bits won't take a spark very well, they might from a ferro rod (as they throw sparks that are hot, around 3000 degrees C) but you will find it frustrating if you are using a magnifying glass or flint and steel, and impossible for the likes of the fire piston.

Jeans are great, I won't throw any of them out now, just keep them and process them down into char cloth. I also did an experiment on the seams today, they also make good char material, a little more robust, give that a go too mate, don't throw any of it out and char all of it.