Bird Channel-billed Cuckoo (Scythrops novaehollandiae)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Scythrops novaehollandiae

Common Name: Channel-billed Cuckoo

Order: Cuculiformes

Family: Cuculidae

Other Names: NA

Distribution: migrates to northern and eastern Australia from New Guinea and Indonesia between August and October each year. The birds leave Australia in February or March.

Habitat: tall open forests

Field Notes: A shy bird, large in size,a massive pale, down-curved bill, grey plumage and long barred tail make it difficult to confuse it with any other bird. In flight the long tail and long wings give the bird a crucifix-shaped silhouette. Size 57 - 70cm. The species is the largest brood parasite in the world, and the largest cuckoo.

Photos by auscraft 2012 Ban Ban Springs.

View attachment 3276View attachment 3277

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Strangely they choose currawongs and crows as their host. I wouldnt have thought they
would be easy to fool with their obvious higher intelligence.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Very loud raucous call.

Last edited:

XT John

Les Stroud
Reaction score
We've had a couple of pairs making lots of noise in the middle of the night. Not heard them much at night before this season.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I wonder if the noisy male sings out to distract the host birds while the female slips in quitely to lay her egg?
Stormbird is another common name ive heard for them in NQld.

XT John

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I wonder if the noisy male sings out to distract the host birds while the female slips in quitely to lay her egg?
Stormbird is another common name ive heard for them in NQld.
Yes, this what they do.
The name "Stormbird" is also widely used in reference to the Common Koel, another member of the Cuckoo clan.

discord

Russell Coight
Reaction score
These are common at my place at this time of year. I reckon the call sounds like someone cutting copper pipe with a hacksaw... Into a megaphone! Not much fun when they start before dawn :)

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
These are common at my place at this time of year. I reckon the call sounds like someone cutting copper pipe with a hacksaw... Into a megaphone! Not much fun when they start before dawn :)
He he, yeah, they're not real musical. Very striking bird though.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I get these a lot around my area (south western sydney), I love their call, see them in groups of 3-4 every now and then too :)
My late father inlaw used to call these "storm birds" too from his day up in the mines in the new england ranges.