BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing views on the tick debate

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi, we don't have a huge issue with ticks here, thankfully. Occasionally on dogs, just grass ticks.

Does anyone use a " click it"?
These are small piezoelectric tool used for neutralising itch from sandflies, mossies, bee and wasp stings/bites.
Really good for stopping the itch-scratch-infection cycle.

Wondering wether it would kill the tick and allow it to be removed easier?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Short answer is I don't know.
I suspect that anything that stresses the tic will result in it injecting more saliva.
The freezing spray i have used is quite good, but there is still itching for a while; in fact I have noticed that the site itself itches when I have been bitten by another tic, some sort of low level allergy alarm!
Don't know if others have noticed this.

I haven't used the piezo for tic itch, it works variably for mozzie bites.

Boogers

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Do we get them here in Vic? I've honestly never thought about them but looks like I should. I wonder how the Aborigines dealt with them.

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Do we get them here in Vic? I've honestly never thought about them but looks like I should. I wonder how the Aborigines dealt with them.

yes they are in Vic.
Paralysis ticks in some places too, I know somebody almost lost their dog after picking up a paralysis tick at golden beach.

the vet told him it wouldn’t be a paralysis tick , and was proven wrong.

a few thousand dollars later the dog survived.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The freeze spray is now the evidenced based method used by Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS). But is only being issued to stations in areas that have confirmed tick infestation. Fraser Island is supposed to be tick free but I have pulled off a few in my time here and the rangers have told me that a few Dingoes have been lost to Paralysis ticks. So the application is in to stores for the spray.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The freeze spray is now the evidenced based method used by Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS). But is only being issued to stations in areas that have confirmed tick infestation. Fraser Island is supposed to be tick free but I have pulled off a few in my time here and the rangers have told me that a few Dingoes have been lost to Paralysis ticks. So the application is in to stores for the spray.
hey Swampy, summer just gone i purchased the freeze spray as we had an infestation here on the NSW South Coast and picked up a few hitch hikers, works very well and easy to use (y)

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I’d thought as I was told that the dingoes have some immunity to them .

had a cattle tick here today , one of the round bodied bulbous ones that just drop off when you brush them .

if you’ve ever had a paralysis tick with it’s head buried under your skin , it can feel like it’s wiggling around inside and is weird .
I’ve covered with stuff that’s supposed to make them back out on their own while you wait.
I couldn’t wait and had to get the bugger out in my own time not it’s .
The paralysis is a weird feeling too , somehow your body and hand often naturally gravitates toward finding them without your brain having figured out anything’s happening yet.

Last edited: