Changing views on the tick debate

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
After finding some salt and pepper ticks on some tender anatomical parts after the Mambup walk, I went and bought this stuff today from Chemist wharehouse for $20. There are some areas you can’t use it.
I also got some 5% Permethrin cream which is good for the salt and pepper ticks, but not for when they get bigger
That Tick Off looks good until you read the places it shouldn't be used.

The neck is a prime place where I might find a Tick on myself and buttocks is somewhere I would have thought that a spray would be ideal because of the impossibility of reaching that area when by oneself.
I wonder why it shouldn't be used on the chest? When you look at it, arms, legs and back are the only places they recommend it to be used on. :(

Medi Freeze Tick Off is NOT to be used for ticks in the following areas: Around the eyes, face, chest, neck, breasts or buttocks.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I can see no reason why it shouldn’t be used on the chest. I suspect what they want to prevent is somebody using it on a nipple, which could, in theory lead to loss of tissue, but they do also mention breast, so that wouldn’t necessarily explain it. Buttocks again have a good blood supply and I can see no reason unless you have some circulatory issue why you couldn’t use it.

I have used it today on neck, chest and buttocks and I still live...

I've emailed Pharmacare and will let you know what they say.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Got a reply from the company...

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Medi Freeze Tick off.

We only make reference to areas where safety and efficacy trials have been conducted.

In the areas that you are referencing, safety trials have not been conducted, as the skin in these areas is different to other areas of the body, thus do not put recommendations on the box/labelling.

I hope this clarifies for you,

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Found a little pal this morning so resisted the temptation to pull it off until I got home.
Used the spray(probably more than needed, but I don’t follow instructions) then with fine tweezers lifted out, still some of the mouth parts broke off, but they came out with relative ease and can’t see any bits. I’ll let you know if it is less itchy than normal.26661B871EEFA-A865-4CBC-B7E7-72E7C982344E.jpeg2666226663

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I had one on my skull. We tried vaseline thinking that would suffocate the tick. Waited 10 minutes, then my partner attacked it with tweezers. Hooley dooley, the skin was lifting from my skull getting that little fucker off. Gail left it on a piece of paper because I wanted to look at it with a magnifying glass to see if it was all there. 10 minutes later it started walking! Geez they're tough. I don't think the whole tick removal thing is such a drama here in Tassie - we don't have paralysis ticks as far as I know. And the hoohah in the states is because you can get lyme disease; I don't think our ticks spread lyme disease.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Clearly not something you would want to spray on your nipples as advised on the directions.
Think I might stick to my tweezers and antiseptic.
Thanks for trying it though good to know how some of these things work.
You shouldn't give people ideas :ROFLMAO:

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score
These things from the first aid kit are my favourite tick removal tool.

I've tried tweezers and cream , and the tweezers seemed good at cutting the tick in half while pulling , and ticks feel pretty weird when attached , so I have no patience waiting to see if they'll back out with cream, in fact once they've dig them selves in the skin I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't.

Most of the time I use these on dogs to be fair.

No mucking around once they've got a hold.

Most I got from one dog was over 40 one morning in a tree line I slept in the hammock where the dog layed beneath .

Don't let anyone tell you paralysis ticks aren't as far south as Victoria either.
They are , at least I know on the east coast .
So if you see the dog symptoms like back legs going weak and dogs eyes looking doey and listless, have a look.

Once they've clamped on these don't let it go.
Notice the progressive locking grooves on the handles.

27095IMG_20200319_195917.jpg

Some body may know their name, might be forceps I'm not sure.

My opinion on the matter.

They tell me no Lyme's disease in Aus yes.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It's a clamp. The funny thing is, I had a knee sewn up a while back. I patched it up in the field (mtb) with a whole bandage and a huge dressing (I felt indestructible with this thing on), finished my ride then into er. They sewed it up and then gave me all the instruments they used - scissors and two clamps. Apparently the cost of using an autoclave to sterilise these things is more than buying them new, so they don't re use them. Just go and fall off your bike :oops:

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score
With ticks especially if your alone , good to have a small mirror or maybe 2 in the pack .

That way you can make seeing and removing those that are in difficult spots somewhat easier too.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Difficult to tell exactly what the instrument is without a close up of the head with the jaws open. I looks like a needle holder, but could be straight artery forceps/clip.

it is design to exert significant force to either hold a suture or to crush tissue. I would suggest using something finer and less powerful if you wanted to ease a tick out.

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Ticks bodies are very hard even hard to kill.

Once these get hold which is often the difficult part it's easily out.

Good for the extra reach if one ends up on your back where you other wise would have trouble , etc. too.

If you did manage to get hold of your skin you could certainly crush tissue yes.

I've hear people talk about pulling the tick without squeezing it as it can release more poison .

I'd be interested to hear how that's possible if it is , I also try to not agitate the action.

These are what I go for when I need to get hold of them.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Tick bites can also result in the victim developing a serious allergy to red meat...to the point of needing an adrenaline injection to stay alive. A mate of mine on the NSW north Coast got it and it nearly killed him. Took a long while for it to be diagnosed.

He tried all sorts of meat from marsupial to placentals but all mammals are the issue.

The allergy was first discovered in Australia and has since been picked up in many other countries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-18/how-ticks-can-cause-mammalian-meat-allergy/10719136

And my mate? A bloke who loved a steak? Fish and chooks and ducks and geese for him.

KB

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Tick bites can also result in the victim developing a serious allergy to red meat...to the point of needing an adrenaline injection to stay alive. A mate of mine on the NSW north Coast got it and it nearly killed him. Took a long while for it to be diagnosed.

He tried all sorts of meat from marsupial to placentals but all mammals are the issue.

The allergy was first discovered in Australia and has since been picked up in many other countries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-18/how-ticks-can-cause-mammalian-meat-allergy/10719136

And my mate? A bloke who loved a steak? Fish and chooks and ducks and geese for him.

KB
CRIKEY!!!!!!

Bushdoc

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
DON'T use those clamps (needle holders) on tick bodies.
Squeezing the tick injects more venom and makes you more likely to develop mammallian meat allergy.

Kindliing

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Went and read about it thanks.

Never had heard about any of that before. Strange to say the least considering in the tropics they are common place.

(Edit):
"Estimates of mammalian meat allergy prevalence are currently
113/100 000 in the Sydney Basin, Australia, "

Information came from this pdf link.
https://www.mja.com.au › filesPDF
Tick-induced allergies: mammalian meat allergy and tick ... - Mja

Last edited:

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Like treatments for bluebottle stings, tick advice seems to change fairly quickly.

The best current advice that I can see is to stay away from tweezers, kerosene etc and just freeze them with wart spray. As bushdoc writes above, irritating by squeezing can result in further envenomation.

The site below adds to mammalian meat allergy advice that you must also not eat any product containing gelatine and that a medical bracelet would be a good idea as hospitals use products which may be harmful to someone with the allergy.

The government health site has the latest here:

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/tick-bites

KB