Mammal Chalinolobus picatus (Little pied bat)

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Common Name: Little Pied Bat

Scientific Name: Chalinolobus picatus

Order: Chiroptera (Bats)

Family: Vespertilionidae

Distribution: SEQ to Maryborough, across to South-Western Queensland and western NSW. NE SA.

Habitat: Open Dry Sclerophyll forests.

Field Notes: Roosts in tree hollows. Eats insects. May sometimes pursue insects close t the ground. Eat on the wing. Considered threatened.

Last edited:

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good on you, and thanks for handling it correctly. Most people handle them by holding either wing, which is likely to injure them.

If you need any assistance or need to talk to anyone about it, call Bat Care Brisbane on 0488 228 134. I have helped with several microbats and they are great to deal with.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks AP, might give them a go if it doesn't fly tonight. I see a few pics on the web with people holding them (only) by the wings. Very fine bones and delicate membranes, not to mention if you let go they can bite you with those razor sharp ittle teeth..

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've got a few photos of a mate holding them like that too before we knew any better. Once told by a local expert we never did it again. I still see it done on TV like that, but everyone makes their own decisions.

1350262104_9b8ed1fb41_z.jpg

3252225793_01e318af90_z.jpg

(Not your species)

I have quite a few cool photos of microbats, but not even the experts could identify them. With some it comes down to the size of the family jewels. The babies are very cute :)